Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Problem with SamSS service for DTC

Author  Topic 

jaybee
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 12:34:19
Background - this is dependency service for DTC (Distributed Transaction Co-ordinator) in SQL Server.

When I attempt to start, Service Manager reports,

"Error 1075: the dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion".
I checked RPC, the dependency service, it's running.

Event Viewer reports,

"The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service depends on the following nonexistent service: SamSS"

Any idea how I get hold of this service, which isn't listed in Admintools=>Services? Do I have to Net Start it, if so how? Do I have to install it? My installation disks sadly are in storage in another part of the country!

Thanks all,

Jaybee.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 13:48:44
If there is no SamSS on the server, you can remove it from dependency by modifying registry. Backup the key first.
Go to Top of Page

jaybee
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 14:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by rmiao

If there is no SamSS on the server, you can remove it from dependency by modifying registry. Backup the key first.

Sounds good; know which key I need to backup/modify, and how?

Cheers,

Jaybee.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 15:47:05
Before starting, double check the server if you find 'Security Accounts Manager' service on it. Is the service running? Is the server in any domain?
Go to Top of Page

jaybee
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 16:09:35
No on both counts - which is fine, it's a dev server.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 16:15:30
The key is in hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services, ensure SamSs is not in the list. Then you can right click on msdtc and choose export, that will keep copy of the key in file. Once done, remove SamSS from DependOnService value.
Go to Top of Page

jaybee
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 17:04:06
Deleted most of the value but still no go, there are four zero's that are hard-coded into the key, I can't get rid of them. SamSS IS on the list.

I'll try a reboot, failing that I'll drop and recreate the key tomorrow, it's getting late here!

Thanks for your help today!

Jaybee.
Go to Top of Page

jaybee
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-02 : 05:57:03
RMIAO,

The reboot did the trick. Clearly the system was using a cached copy of the Registry, so I'd like to thank you again!

I can't believe it's been nearly 10 years since my OS support days - never thought so much time would fly by so soon, or I'd still be IN computing!!!
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-02 : 10:30:11
Glad to know it worked.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -