Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Merge 2 Primary mdf files

Author  Topic 

speno
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 16:38:12
I've inherited administration of a database from a previous owner on SQL 2000. The database has 2 primary mdf files and 2 log files. When I run a RESTORE FILELISTONLY, it shows 2 mdf files with different names as Primary and 2 log files with different names. How can I merge into 1 primary and 1 log?

Westley
Posting Yak Master

229 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 22:40:14
Hi speno,
you can use DBCC SHRINKFILE (<filename>, EMPTYFILE ), this will empty your mdf file and put everything to 1, not too sure why you like to do that tho.

Go to Top of Page

speno
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-31 : 11:58:36
Thanks for the tip. It's more of a clean up issue for me as I migrate this db to another server. Question I still have is once I ran the dbcc command and then backed up the db again, FILELISTONLY still shows the other mdf. Is that expected or how do I know that it's really not being used anymore?
Go to Top of Page

MuadDBA

628 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-31 : 13:04:12
After you use the DBCC command, you have to use the ALTER DATABASE command to remove the empty file. THEN it will only be using one file.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -