Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Mac Book Pro

Author  Topic 

bogey
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-24 : 13:57:51
I'm in the market for a new notebook and I've been reading alot on the new mac book pro running parallels. Anyone using a mac book pro around here?

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-24 : 21:12:59
yep. what do you want to know?

btw, the VMware beta is better (imho) than parallels at this stage. It feels a little faster, although i have not done any real testing to determine that.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

bogey
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-24 : 23:09:49
eyechart - Would you OR other's recommend it over other "PC" notebooks? I currently have a dell 5150 thats around 3 years old and I'm in the market for a new machine for .NET development and SQL
Server 2005 administration.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-24 : 23:27:57
well, i have two laptops right now. I have a Thinkpad T60p that my employer has provided for me. I also have the macbook pro that I purchased for myself.

I prefer the mac over the thinkpad, so i would recommend it. However, the mac is different and may take a little getting used to.

I don't need to go into all the benefits of the mac (no virus/spyware right now being the biggest benefit imho), but I will go into some of the drawbacks.

1. Many applications I need are windows only, which forced me to use Vmware/Parallels, citrix or RDP to another windows host to use them.
2. The microsoft apps for the mac suck (do not use entourage whatever you do)
3. You will have to learn a new environment again.

I have relatively few problems with the mac. However, since I was new again to the platform (last used a mac in college), troubleshooting even the simplest problems took more time than it would have even on a windows box for me. Now, that isn't the case, but initially it was a little frustrating not knowing how to fix a simple problem.

Even with these issues, I am definitely more productive on my mac than on my T60. No question about it. YMMV.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-25 : 13:47:36
I use both here at work and only use the Mac when I have to. PC's are much better suited to our enviroment.

Although I have found the Mac usefull as a doorstop!

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

RocketScientist
Official SQLTeam Chef

85 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-25 : 14:43:51
I extensively use a macbook (non pro). Before that I had a Titanium PowerBook.

Parallels is awesome and cheap, very very cheap for what you get. Haven't tried VMWare.

That said, I don't use parallels or boot camp anymore. Remote Desktop Client (from http://www.microsoft.com/mac) still works, so for server management there's really no reason to do anything else.

I used Boot Camp for games until 2 things happened: Blizzard updated World of Warcraft to use multi-threaded OpenGL on dual-core processors in Mac OS X AND I found a piece of third-party software that let me program my Nostromo n52. Parallels (and VMWare) doesn't play nice with hardware accelerated DirectX.

Price/performance wise, a MacBook is very very competitive in an honest analysis with any other laptop that's a similar physical size/weight, CPU and bundled memory.

Remote Desktop Client is free from Microsoft. There are also other alternatives to RDC if Microsoft decides to stop support.

Rosetta also works way better than it has any right to.

One thing I've noticed is that with Apple notebooks I can keep using them a lot longer before they're obsolete. I think Graz is the only person I know who goes longer between upgrades than I do, and he's just...uh...a careful consumer, yeah that's it. That said I did invest about $250 in my powerbook after 3 years, to upgrade to a faster hard drive and more memory.

Apple service is exceptionally good.

Some people don't "get" macs. That's OK. I'm fine with that. Let's not start a religious war because people don't believe the same things we do. Some people like the way Apple does things, and some people just haven't embraced the model yet.
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-25 : 15:19:45
Pffft. You must no pay attention. I'm buying new machines every two years now.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

RocketScientist
Official SQLTeam Chef

85 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-25 : 15:41:03
Ah. See, I think you're confused. After 2 years you start talking about getting a new machine, a year or two after you start you buy it.

Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-25 : 15:45:49
Nah. Computers I buy quick for some reason. Things like flat screen TV's ... now those I need to think about for a long, long time.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -