Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Google Toolbar with Ajax

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-05 : 04:53:05
I've been using the latest version of Google toolbar with Ajax look-ahead for some time now.

I reckon I'm getting much better searches by watching the hints and picking a "more appropriate" starter query from the list ...

For example I wanted to just check what Google would find on SET ROWCOUNT @SomeLimit and I typed (without pressing enter):

ROWCOUNT

and it offered

rowcount oracle
rowcount in oracle
rowcount sql
rowcount sql server
rowcount in sql server
rowcount sybase
rowcount plsql
rowcount in sybase
rowcount cursor

that didn't look quite what I was after - I expected it was going to give me info on the Rowcount of a previous query, so I refined to

SET ROWCOUNT

and got

set rowcount oracle
set rowcount off
set rowcount 0
set rowcount sybase
set rowcount sql
set rowcount in sybase
set rowcount in oracle
set rowcount 1
set rowcount 100

which told be that SET ROWCOUNT wasn't limited to SQL Server (Sybase I would have expected, but wouldn't have thought of before hand, didn;t know about Oracle), so I bothered to go the whole hog and extend my query to

set rowcount sql server

and got some dandy results.

Now of course the final query I used is dead obvious, but being lazy I would have started with ROWCOUNT or maybe SET ROWCOUNT and then had all the oracle junk mixed in, but getting the HeadsUp that there was other material likely to be returned helped me to get a more appropriate first query.

Did the same thing earlier - Number One daughter playing an away match this Saturday and I wanted to get directions. I typed in the name of the school "beeston" but I didn't know if it was "beestonS" or had a "Hall" on it, or "school" etc

Beeston showed nothing useful, so I tried "beeston school" which showed nothing, so I backspaced and started typing hall and at "beeston h" it was already offering "beeston hall school" so down-arrow and away I went!

I'm sure you have all been using it for months and just failed to tell me how helpful it was, but just in case an old codger can teach the new dogs a trick here's my $0.02 worth!

Kristen

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-05 : 05:13:21
Thanks kristen !!

That's really amazing thing....I will surely check that out !

Harsh Athalye
India.
"Nothing is Impossible"
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-05 : 05:44:42
If you've not used it before the other thing I find useful is to type some keywords into the search box (in toolbar) and NOT press enter. Then click on the "Highlight" icon and those words are highlighted in the currently displayed page. More useful than using Control-F to Find, I reckon.

And being dyslexic I use the Spell Check function to check spelling in web forms too.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-06 : 03:42:06
I've been using the Google toolbar for a while and installed the latest version a recently. I agree with Kristen (sadly!) that the "suggest" feature is a pretty cool one. Anyone who has seen Google Suggest [url]http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en [/url]will understand how it works.

The toolbar has some customizability. One of the things I like is the seperate button to search another location (in my case UK). There is also a search this site button - must try that on the MS site, I bet that will please them

Steve

-----------

Don't worry head. The computer will do all the thinking from now on.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -