Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 check out this email I got

Author  Topic 

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 12:21:17
Check this email I got the other day. I have seen this type of scam discussed online before, but I have never been the recipient of something like this. I thought it might be fun to play along and see what happens, So I responded to Samir that I would like to help out. I am awaiting a reply.

btw, I edited out some email addresses so we don't get any more spam. He seemed to use the shotgun approach on a few dozen email addresses.

-ec

quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:0-1:12 +0000
Subject: reply urgent -[Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:0-1:12 +0000]
To: xxxxxxx
Cc: xxxxxxxx

Hello
Please read very carefully and am wating
for your urgent respon about this proposal,
hello my name is Samir from egypt
am presently on political assylum now.
l got your email contact from my research on the
net because am presently looking for honest person
who can help my client to invest his fund in Real Estate
Investment and commercial properties.
I will be very intresting to start a new life in your country
with your assistance and co-operation on this issue concerning
my client fund.
So please if your in good position to help me, please send me an
email at this email address ( amin03@o2.pl )
indicating your desire to help me invest this fund in your country
and beyond. l urgently wating for your reply by end of the day,
I hope to me you very soon.

Best Regards & God Bless

Samir Saad Amin

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 15:15:47
i got a reply from this clown. I'm open to suggestions of how we can mess with him.

-ec

quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Aug 24, 2006 4:37 AM
Subject: From Samir
To: eyechart@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you very much for your reply. My name is Mr. Samir Amin from Egypt, once an agent to the exiled president of Haiti Jean Bertrand Aristide. Due to the problem of my client in his country, We left on exile.

Now, I have the total sum of $50m Usd which I want to invest on real estate in your country because I want to start a new life with my family after the funds transfer to your account and also have an investment as well on real estate business.

I will be glad if you will assist me to transfer the sum of $50m Usd into your account and after the funds transfer to your account, I will start on the investment. Meanwhile I have to make you the beneficiary status of the funds so that you will be able to transfer the funds to your account.
If you are interested to assist me in transferring the funds to your account, Please send me a copy of your valid identity so that I will forward it to my attorney so that he will approve the funds in your name as the legal beneficiary status of the funds.
I will also send to you my own copy of international passport so that you will know the person that you are doing business with.

But I have to give you 20% of the total funds after transferring the funds into your account while I will have the rest for my investment on real estate in your country.
You are not expected to do any expenses in the process of this transactions because I have well arrange the funds transfer.
I will send you a copy of my identity later.

I await to receive a copy of your valid identity so that we will proceed further in doing our business. I will also send you a copy of my international passport

Always contact me through this email id.

Best regards,

Samir Amin
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 15:19:58
Maybe we can find an identity on the Internet to send to him to get this scam going. Something that looks official, but isn't. It's not like he's really got an attorney anyway.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 15:35:55
fabien pascal maybe?

i can't believe i just suggested that

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
blog thingie: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 15:41:38
This is one of the sloppiest examples of the Nigerian scam i've seen. It reads like the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

And sorry eyechart, but your name does not come up when I google "honest person", so he must have found you some other way.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 15:57:47
quote:
Originally posted by blindman
And sorry eyechart, but your name does not come up when I google "honest person", so he must have found you some other way.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, so I'll just assume you are making some kind of joke. :)

-ec
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 17:23:25
From Samir's e-mail:

You must pay attention to details if you really want to play with this guy's mind.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 17:31:50
quote:
Originally posted by blindman

From Samir's e-mail:

You must pay attention to details if you really want to play with this guy's mind.

I think i got hung up on the 50m part.. :)

-ec
Go to Top of Page

timmy

1242 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 17:54:26
Check out www.419eater.com

That site is dedicated to messing with the scammer's heads. Maybe some food for thought?
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 22:47:16
Tell him you desire a much more intimate relationship, and ask him to send you pictures of himself.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 23:11:33
quote:
Originally posted by timmy

That site is dedicated to messing with the scammer's heads. Maybe some food for thought?

that site is brilliant!

-ec
Go to Top of Page

PSamsig
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

384 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 01:05:37
What about this one: http://www.scamorama.com/

-- The Heisenberg uncertainty principle also applies when debugging
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 14:00:41
quote:

I like this site. I vote for some thing like [url]www.flextel.com[/url] to be setup. There used to be something similar in the UK where you could set your self up with a number and you got money when people rang it. The trick then would be to keep them on the phone for ages, a bit like call centre's do

And as for bank details I suggest the well known Bodgitt and Leggitt bank (aka B&L). It may even be the one they use!

When they ask you to send them documents you could include say a Word file that happens to have a virus in it (oops!) The site has some great tips, I particularly like the one about booking a hotel and the car accident.

steve

steve

-----------

Don't worry head. The computer will do all the thinking from now on.
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 14:18:31
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

Tell him you desire a much more intimate relationship, and ask him to send you pictures of himself.

CODO ERGO SUM

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 20:13:03
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

CODO ERGO SUM

Hmm... Not a good idea these days....

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1855921,00.html

DavidM

Production is just another testing cycle
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-01 : 19:13:46
"There used to be something similar in the UK where you could set your self up with a number and you got money when people rang it"

Don't think it ever allowed you to charge "enough" per minute though ...

... I remember reading of a scam in the USA where they set up a premium-rate number charging $100's per minute.

Courier biker goes into reception: "I have a package for Mr Bjhfdmnbt"

Receptionist: "Sorry, no Mr Bjhfdmnbt here"

Courier: "Would you mind if I call my company to check the details?"

Receptionist: "No problem, here's the phone"

Courier (having spoken on the phone): "Would you believe it, its the outfit nextdoor/across the street/A.N.Other excuse"

Probably never even got picked up on the phone records of 99.999% (5 x 9's here we go again!) in Corporate America ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkay
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-09-02 : 00:08:05
Has anyone thought about this being a virus? Are those still an issue?
When I opened the e-mail, which I did accidentally, Opera opened a new, blank window (I have start page). Opera had not been used since I turned on my computer, and my default browser is Firefox. What the fuck!? Please excuse my language.
Should I be worried?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -