Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Surface Tension

Author  Topic 

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 07:34:07
A morning observation:

Pour a little cream in a cup of hot tea; don't stir. Notice there is a very thin film of white clinging to the tea surface-tension-zone and a billowing cloud of white below the surface. Two different mixing zones: surface and below-surface.

Pick up the cup and turn smoothly to the left or right. The surface tension zone is fixed (does not move) with respect to the cup, the cloud zone below is fixed (doesn't move) with respect to the room.

OK, ho-hum. Can you post a better method of observing the surface tension layer of a liquid and the body of liquid?

I've got stored procs to debug. Gotta go.

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 07:41:55
Doing some Coffee Art ? http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide/examples

-----------------
'KH'

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 09:37:16
I don't drink tea....only alcohol.
Does the same happen with 'tonic water' or 'diet coke/cola' mixers???
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 09:45:51
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMurphy

Give it a try. Add a teaspoon of cream to your vodka; hold glass in hand; turn in circles.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 13:33:41
Spin a [raw] egg. Momentarily touch it with your finger to stop the rotation. Let go - the egg will start spinning again.

Its not surface tension that does this of course ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 13:34:32
I would not go suggesting to Brett that he put cream in his margarita cause them is fightin words.

LOL

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 14:14:34
Take a raw egg. Throw it at your boss. Notice the abrupt increase in tension....
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 14:42:13
Take a raw egg. Throw it at your boss. Notice the abrupt increase in tension surface ....
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 20:19:42
take a cup... put instant coffee
add enough hot water to dissolve
do not stir, mix by rotating cup slowly
add sugar
add cream
fill cup 3/4 full
mix using spoon (do not use index finger)

gulp it all down...
feel the building tension at the pit of your stomach

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 20:27:47
make yourself a cup of hot coffee or tea
crack an (raw) egg into it
drink it all up
you will be energetic all day to face any tension

-----------------
'KH'

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

331 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-12 : 22:41:48
quote:
OK, ho-hum. Can you post a better method of observing the surface tension layer of a liquid and the body of liquid?

As a kid I watched these to learn about surface tension http://www.rlephoto.com/bugs/strider_com_water/20124_skeeter_water_ds.htm

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

ditch

1466 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-13 : 03:10:41
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMurphy

I don't drink tea....only alcohol.

Ahhhh.... Andy

Surely someone coming from Ireland would appreciate this kinda art then. http://www.thenewstribune.com/ae/restaurants/story/3881129p-3482485c.html

I once had the honour of having a heart instead of a Shamrock been drawn on my pint by a really lovely barmaid

Duane.
"It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off."
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-13 : 03:51:20
Not tension related but if you get a glass of Cointreau (or presumably other clear spirit) and very carefully pour some Baileys (or presumably other cream based drink) it curdles and floats in the Cointreau and looks like a Brain - which strangely enough is the name of this cocktail

Duane - like the link but my, admittedly limited, experience of drinking Guiness in Dublin just meant that it showed you up to be a tourist. I seem to recall that most of the locals drank a different stout which I can't quite remember the name of for some reason

steve

-----------

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -