Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 iTunes and MP3

Author  Topic 

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-18 : 09:41:09
I've got a new cell phone that will play MP3 files. No prior iPod experience, I just spent considerable time diagnosing that iTunes doesn't save MP3 files once you buy the music on the iTunes store.

What software is out there that's easy to use which will let me buy music and store it in MP3 format?

Sam

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-18 : 14:04:59
The music purchased from itunes is protected. There is no direct method to convert it to mp3. The only way is to burn a CD and then re-rip it in MP3 format.

oh, you could also just go get an ipod :)

-ec
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-18 : 14:11:28
I'm thinking about the whole iPod thing. It's a proprietary format, and if I buy a lot of music, I'd rather it worked on anything... or isn't that important?
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 09:12:32
well there's always e-mule you know...

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 09:28:01
OK, I'm not yet there, but I'm beginning to ketchup.

Kazaa plants spyware on your PC. Risky for a workstation.

Napster cost $15/month. Sounds good, but there will be months when I download nothing.

E-mule... what's the catch?
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 09:33:16
there's no catch... install it (no spyware & co), download what you want and listen to it...
i won't go into copyrights here...

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 09:40:41
quote:
Originally posted by spirit1

there's no catch... install it (no spyware & co), download what you want and listen to it...
i won't go into copyrights here...

umm, the catch is the RIAA.

just get an ipod, you won't be sorry. If you want phone + mp3 capability look at the motorola razr 3i (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,130,00.html). Avoid the moto rokr at all costs.

All other mp3 players are insignificant at this point. Until someone comes out with a device that integrates with your desktop music player and an online music purchasing system like the ipod, the ipod will remain on top.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 12:28:09
A ski buddy of mine just mentioned Walmart.com has MP3 downloads for 88 cents. Hmmm...

Edit: Walmart downloads WMAs, not MP3s.
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 12:33:05
quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

umm, the catch is the RIAA.

just get an ipod, you won't be sorry. If you want phone + mp3 capability look at the motorola razr 3i (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,130,00.html). Avoid the moto rokr at all costs.

I gotta respect the RIAA. I was under the impression that napster was legit now... no?

My interest was spurred by the new phone I got at Sprint. They didn't offer the Motorola Razr [unfortunately] which is a slick looking phone, but I'm very happy with the Samsung A920 which also plays MP3s (and sounds as good as any portable player I've heard).

FYI - I'm struggling with the bluetooth earpiece. It works, but I'm told it has sound quality problems.)

I wonder if I'll still be around when the entire phone, MP3 and camera are reduced to the size of an earpiece...
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 12:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by SamC

I wonder if I'll still be around when the entire phone, MP3 and camera are reduced to the size of an earpiece...

You might be interested in this video then. Steve Jobs with some insights into the future direction of the ipod http://www.vimeo.com/clip=21846

I think I'll get the ipod piqueno

-ec

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 15:28:23
I've had my ipod nano for a few months now and absolutely love it! You should see the Apple store here at Christmas time. It is jam packed with people purchasing ipods. I went in there to see if the skins were finally available for the nano. They were, but I wasn't about to stand in line as it was wrapping around the inside of the store. I found the skins for the same price at another store in that mall with a very short line.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 16:34:22
Do they still have issues on battery life on these ipods or was that resolved ?
I know a friend told me never to buy one something about some problems with the battery, but that was about a year ago.

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]

RS Blog -- [url]http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jhermiz[/url]
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 16:40:04
The nano battery lasts about 14 hours. The problems that you are referring to don't occur to the nano due to it using a flash drive. The others have the problem due to the disk always spinning.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-27 : 14:02:17
Tara, you're so old fashioned! Just buy it online ... which appears to be a useful anagram of "no-line"!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-27 : 16:06:12
Buying it online had a very long wait time. I believe it was 2 months at Amazon.com when I looked.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-28 : 05:17:28
Blimey, that's like a really long line, isn't it!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Westley
Posting Yak Master

229 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-28 : 21:33:49
Hi all, Just wondering for the ipod nano, can you change the battery now? as i heard changing battery is a big no no for ipod, is it still an issue?
Go to Top of Page

ajthepoolman
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

384 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-01 : 00:08:05
quote:
Originally posted by SamC

OK, I'm not yet there, but I'm beginning to ketchup.

Kazaa plants spyware on your PC. Risky for a workstation.

Napster cost $15/month. Sounds good, but there will be months when I download nothing.

E-mule... what's the catch?

If you search around you will find Kazaa Lite, which has no spyware.

Hey, it compiles.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-01 : 20:18:54
just get an ipod and buy the music on itunes.

I used to get stuff from napster, kazaa, audigalaxy (remember that one?) and then emule. I realized that I make enough money to legally purchase the music that I listen to, and waiting for something to download that is of questionable quality (or content) was a pain in the ass - not to mention the thorny legal aspects. Itunes gives you that instant gratification that you desire and is a great solution if you have an ipod.

Also, keep in mind that you can also download SQL Server as well as just about every 3rd party add-on for MSSQL from these p2p networks. How is advocating downloading music from kazaa any different then suggesting people download copies of SQL Server from these same sources?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Stoad
Freaky Yak Linguist

1983 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-04 : 13:11:45
Modern Blues Band (Moscow, Russia)...
03-Thrill is Gone (Robert Howkins).mp3 (4.91MB, FREE)
IT'S AN AMAZING REMIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A world ABOVE of B.B. King's standard.
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-05 : 11:17:23
My buddy who works as an admin here just showed me his nano, I didn't know they were that light and thin...Kind of impressed. I guess I see all the hype. But then again soon enough you'll have a phone running windows, that playes mp3s, that has the net, etc... etc...I think the new samsung and treo phones have all this. So I don't know if its better to buy single products that do one simple thing or buy a multi-function product.

Guess it depends though.

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]

RS Blog -- [url]http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jhermiz[/url]
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -