Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Insider threat / server vulnerability

Author  Topic 

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-09 : 10:32:12
In a recent thread I mentioned that real-time anti-virus server software might be a good idea even for well protected/isolated servers. The rationale behind that post is that a malicious insider (anyone with physical access or username / password access) could intentionally compromise (e.g., plant a virus or worm) a server which is perceived to be protected due to strong isolation or strong firewall defenses.

No one should post details of a corporate server infection in a public forum, and we don't want to expose specifics. I hope we can begin a thread to gather "non-specific poll data" which would put some light on whether malicious insider deeds have affected servers which forum members have heard about (excluding the news media as a source). In other words a server that belongs to someone you know.

So with ambiguity in mind, any responses appreciated... don't include specifics about company names, etc.

- In the past 2 years, are you aware of a server that has been compromised intentionally by a confirmed malicious insider act?

- In the past 2 years, are you aware of a server that has been compromised in a manner which you *suspect* involved a malicious insider?

"compromised" includes infection by a virus, worm, or other...

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-09 : 10:54:38
I don't know of or suspect any servers that were compromised intentionally by a malicious insider.

I do know of some that were compromised accidentally by incompetent and stupid insiders.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-09 : 11:12:49
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

I don't know of or suspect any servers that were compromised intentionally by a malicious insider.

I do know of some that were compromised accidentally by incompetent and stupid insiders.

I suspect the latter is by *far* more prevalent than the former.
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-09 : 18:33:57
quote:

I do know of some that were compromised accidentally by incompetent and stupid insiders

By far the most common threat

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-10 : 08:20:09
None that I can think of. Lots of "trusted people" who have sufficient access, and just need to get to the point of having an "axe to grind" ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-13 : 21:26:37
some tried...

but they either failed or caught red-handed

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-14 : 03:26:26
It's not something I've come across but I do remember many many years ago the company I was at being delivered a brand new laptop from a very well known company, which came with it's own virus pre-installed!!!

steve

-----------

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -