Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 We did it!

Author  Topic 

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-12 : 14:33:54
Apologies to the Aussies here but WE WON THE ASHES

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-12 : 19:44:37
Hehehe

18 years, it was about time you guys got a win

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 05:27:30
I think you guys spoiled it by making it too easy for us. I mean all those rain dances you did .... or was that us?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 05:54:34
I still don't understand why the aussies took the light at the oval (not the first two times anyway) maybe it was those sunglasses that they all seem to wear these days.

I think even Merkin will agree it was a great tournament. It seemed to me to be particularly in the true spirit of cricket.

Even got wiffy interested in cricket now - mind you I'm not sure that's a good thing

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 05:58:36
"Even got wiffy interested in cricket now"

Buy her the tea-towel with the rules on it - you know then one that says:

"One team is in, the other is out. The team that is in is in until they are out, and then the team that was out is in ..."

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy

2916 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 07:17:46
"Even got wiffy interested in cricket now - mind you I'm not sure that's a good thing"..

...not a good idea....she'll be insisting you make the tea next or that you bring in the cold beers from the fridge...cut that out quick

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 07:35:43
As an American, I know nothing about cricket, but this thread has been thoroughly entertaining anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 08:04:25
I'll be honest with ya Steve, I didn't watch a minute of it

Damian
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy

2916 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 09:42:24
"...know nothing about cricket"
As an Irishman neither did I until I had a spare summer with nothing to do in the evenings except watch it uninterrupted....similiar to how I found out about most of the rules of Baseball...

One big difference....cricket allows the batsman/batter to get hit by the ball legally without the 'mound rush' and all the scuffing of the dirt!!!

Now if only the participants were harrassed and hassled while receiving and striking the ball on the run like in Hurling, they'd experience a real sport!!!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 10:52:21
Well, the 'mound rush' is not actually required by the rules of baseball, and only started to become common in the last 20 years or so.

Personally, I blame it on the influence of hockey.

I thought Hurling was something you do after too many beers.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 10:59:47
What's a "Mound rush"
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy

2916 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 11:37:19
"Mound Rush"...."everybody jumps from the bench and rushes in" to defend their poor mate who's been 'accidentally' hit with a stray ball from the pitcher. sometimes can unofficially be used as a 'tactic' to change the nature of the game...players suspensions, and change of team/crowd mood, etc!!

Hurling....http://www.gaa.ie/page/all_about_hurling.html
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 12:45:32
How jolly un-sporting!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 15:05:38
The "Mound Rush" is ususlly a lot more show than fight for a couple of reasons. The first is that the batter charging the mound is charging into the middle where he will be out-numbered six to one. The second is that the pitchers tend to be very large men, 6' to 6'6". Most of the time the batter takes a couple of half-hearted steps towards the mound and is stopped by the catcher from behind. The players rush out from both benches, everyone grabs each other, and mills around until the umpire issues a couple of warnings and everone sets down again.

I did see one where the batter lost his temper, charged the pitcher, and realized when he got there that the pitcher was about 8 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier. The pitcher picked him up, slammed him hard on the ground, got him in a head lock and punched his face 6 or 7 times before they stopped him. He even rememberd to punch with his non-pitching hand. That's a good example of why most batter's don't rush the mound for more than a couple of steps.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-13 : 15:12:09
Isn't Cricket just something they use football fields for in the summer when they aren't playing Aussie Rules Football?

quote:
Originally posted by Merkin

Hehehe

18 years, it was about time you guys got a win

Damian

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-14 : 07:03:50
quote:
I'll be honest with ya Steve, I didn't watch a minute of it

Hey Damian - didn't realise you could see into the future

Even our girls won! Maybe your guys would like a lesson in catching from our girls

Seriously though I heard that the Aussie team were getting death threats and stuff - It's a GAME for chuff's sake!!

steve

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-14 : 07:05:08
Kristen, Andrew - like your ideas. Though I think she may be starting to change her mind as she wasn't impressed with the size of the trophy

steve

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-14 : 07:26:50
quote:
she wasn't impressed with the size of the trophy
Most women aren't...oh wait, I'm thinking of something else, never mind.

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-14 : 07:57:00
I didn't know you had a trophy wife Elwoos!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-14 : 08:19:42
quote:
Most women aren't...oh wait, I'm thinking of something else, never mind.

In True SQL Team Form we have degraded this topic in a single page.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-14 : 10:31:37
quote:

In True SQL Team Form we have degraded this topic in a single page.

of course... i don't expect anything less...

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -