Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Third Party Wikie Software

Author  Topic 

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 15:28:01
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software

Anybody use any of these packages? Any opinions? I know you can get the open source wikie software from wikiepedia but for some reason the boss does not want to go that route.

====================================================
Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 18:08:37
we use the mediawiki package (the one that wikipedia runs on). The software is being actively developed with new releases every 2 or 3 months. So far we are very happy with it.

Currently they only support mysql for a db backend, a postgres port is on the way but I am not sure what the status of that is. I am not aware of any packages that use SQL Server as a backend.

EDIT:
there look to be quite a few wiki packages that use SQL Server based upon the wikipedia link you posted. Is that a requirement? or are you looking for something commercial (closed source) rather than open source?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 19:25:58
We have MySQL and PHP resources here. I will take a look at MediaWikie. I believe we are going to want source code access.

====================================================
Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 19:45:15
I'm using the .NET based one www.flexwiki.com at work and for a few of our clients.
Works well.

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 20:39:56
quote:
Originally posted by Merkin

I'm using the .NET based one www.flexwiki.com at work and for a few of our clients.
Works well.

Damian

flexwiki is interesting because it is a microsoft opensource project. It looks a little feature poor at the moment compared to mediawiki though. How much participation is there in development of this project?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 22:26:48
It's basically just a small group of 3 or 4 people working on it I think. Yes it is pretty basic, but I think that is what has led to it's success where I'm working.
I set it up to keep some notes for one project, a few people found out and now it's basically our company's main knowledgebase. It integrates really well with IIS on a windows network so nobody has to worry about user admin, and updates are stamped with the persons domain account.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 03:38:18
We use flexwiki too.

We use a Windows Login to keep it private, but I would have prefered integral permissions (to be able to have permissions on a per-page / per-section basis or somesuch, and Author / Editor / Reader groups).

I hate Wiki formatting with avengence. '''''''''this is bolface''''''''' is nuts and [B] would be much better.

But the real issue is that we not infrequently want some powerful formatting (e.g. code snippets that we want to cut&paste where the TABs are preserved and do NOT have a leading space on the line) and just being able to embed some raw HTML would be a saviour. In the main this can be done, but we have to look it up in the DOCs every time.

||Heading1||Heading 2||
||column1||data2||

for tables is inelegant too - I suppose its a) what you are used to and b) using characters that are bound to occur in your data stream and c) having an equally lousy escapping mechanism.

I would also like some document structure features - being able to represent a set of pages as a tree structure so that links could be automatically provided for Prev/Next and Up.

And I would like to have some sort of templating for new pages - we keep on calling up an existing page, doing EDIT, Copy-to-Clipboard, then go to the new page and Paste & Edit. So we're probably copying-from a stale page for a kickoff.

BUT BUT BUT ... even worse would be to NOT install a Wiki! We have our people capturing all sorts of useful information that never had a proper home before.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 17:19:54
Here's a crazy (or maybe not) idea... What about using a shared OneNote notebook? Easy to format, easy to capture web stuff, maybe not nearly as easy to navigate, but with a good set of Flags applied, you could come up with some interesting navigation options. Able to capture voice. Integration with Office to set reminders or email pages if you need to send something outside.

Obviously OneNote is not free and perhaps not as egalitarian as a Wiki, but thought I'd throw the idea out there for consideration.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -