Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Paid Advice?

Author  Topic 

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 10:50:52
You mean somebody's getting paid?

Kidding aside, does it matter if you did look for work whilst posting help and advice?

Now I know Sean, and I know he's up to his eyeballs in sheet and is only kidding (mostly ribbing the guy), but what would really be the harm?

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53462

It does seem that things go out of control quickly using the written word as compared to verbal communication.

So the question is, is it OK, not OK, or just bad form.

I mean you could always email the poster and keep it private...

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Seventhnight
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 11:00:37
My thoughts:

If a poster wants to hire someone from the board, then it should be in the manner of a post looking for a consultant (or perm employee). That would give the various board members fair chance to respond if they are interested.

If a board member is looking for work, it is a bit different. It might be nice to have an 'available for consulting' icon or tag of sorts that was driven from the user profile. That way, anyone who does contracting would have that on their posts.

As this is a free exchange forum, I don't particularly think that 'advertising' belongs in posts, but I also don't think it is worth getting upset about. For the most part, the board is a learning environment where people what to learn how to deal with something, or learn how to correct something that is broken. They typically are not looking for someone to contract out too.

So, summary version: can we have a tag for those who would like to identify themselves as contsultants? If not... I would say: stick it in the bio.

Corey

Co-worker on The Wizard of Oz "...those three midgets that came out and danced, the freaked me out when I was little. But they are ok now."
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 11:45:56
i think everyone is making too much of a big deal out of this...
i mean come on.... i got that Sean was joking...

are you folks serious??? you need to read everything in a positive way...
and why would anyone get upset about anything that anyone says???? that's just going to their level...
i mean you really have the need to defend yourself from that??? please....
just say: "hey that's your opinion...". that line alone would save a lot of bickering amongst members here.

guys and gals... it's a forum... not your workplace

chill out!

Corey: what kind of cookies do you like?

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 12:18:07
I would rather not see any "pimping" because it changes the character of the discussion, but it's not worth getting upset about if it isn't just pure spam. Since this is a commercial site that sells advertising, I would also clear it with the board moderators first.

I dislike the bickering that took place on that thread. If you think someone is doing something wrong, this is a better place to take it, or maybe a private email.

As a practical matter, some of the remarks that were made there would turn off anyone who was really interested in contracting services. A mild response to something you dislike shows a more professional attitude than a hard-hitting flame.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 12:27:10
I agree that the whole conversation got blown out of proportion. Of course, I've been guilty of doing the same thing a time or two, so not pointing blame here, just observing.

Now, speaking as a guy who until recently made his living by pimping his services on a regular basis, I prefer a subtle approach such as putting info in my bio or posting a link to my web site in my signature. That way, if someone wants to pursue a service-for-fee route, they know how to reach me. If not, no big deal.

And I have had people contact me via email from the forum to ask for help. Unfortunately, most of them wanted me to continue providing free services to analyze and solve their complicated scenario from home by email. Those people I just referred back to the SQLTeam community telling them if they are looking for free help, they'll get more help here, including the opportunity for me to review and respond to their issue along with all the other experts.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 13:07:17
You have to look at it in the context that Bustaz and I were seeing it. It wasn't the first time we'd seen it from him. I believe it was Damian that asked he remove part of his signature that dealt with this. I shouldn't have used the word pimping in my post, but it certainly did not deserve the backlash that Sean gave me. I even went on to say how I enjoyed reading his posts thus far which I was being honest about.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 13:09:16
"Now, speaking as a guy who until recently made his living by pimping his services on a regular basis, I prefer a subtle approach such as putting info in my bio or posting a link to my web site in my signature."

Oh sigh... not that I can give 2 spits about what any of you think of me but I am gamefully employed and I maintained continous full time employment even through the rough times over a few years ago as an IT professional because I work hard and I study hard and my work is pretty good.

====================================================
Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 13:21:35
spirit: I like white chocolate macadamia nut cookies

Sean - I too got your joke. My comment was in reference to Brett's generalized question. I don't ever care what other people think [about me or anything], so I definitely am not going to get offended by such 'advertizing'. I think it is time that we all just let it go as a 'difference of opinion'. You've already modified your sig, so that solves that.

Others - this is pretty sad that we let things get out of hand so quickly... you're starting to act like my wife again

"have a cookie... you'll feel better..."

Corey

Co-worker on The Wizard of Oz "...those three midgets that came out and danced, the freaked me out when I was little. But they are ok now."
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 13:31:16
quote:
Originally posted by Seventhnight

you're starting to act like my wife again

ooooooooooooooooooo...I'm tellin

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx
Go to Top of Page

TallCowboy0614
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 13:38:07
quote:
Originally posted by tduggan

You have to look at it in the context that Bustaz and I were seeing it. It wasn't the first time we'd seen it from him. I believe it was Damian that asked he remove part of his signature that dealt with this. I shouldn't have used the word pimping in my post, but it certainly did not deserve the backlash that Sean gave me. I even went on to say how I enjoyed reading his posts thus far which I was being honest about.

Tara

Seems to me that there was a pre-disposition to the particular "context that Bustaz and I were seeing it". I think you should not really have been surprised by the "backlash" you got. It was a pretty strong statement that resulted in a pretty strong response. Live and learn (or invest in some flame-proof undergarments ;) )

Most certainly the thread should not have continued on with the grenade-lobbing back and forth after the first "it was a joke" post.

I never took offense to his signature, and I object strongly to the suggestion that such "programming pimpage" be forced out of signatures. SPAM, yeah, flame away. Even if it was NOT a joke, based on the historical presence and value of his posts on the forum, folks just shoulda let it slide until it became an obvious, prolonged pimpin' parade.

MY .02

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!" - Brian's mum
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 13:49:58
You think that this comment was deserved:

quote:
You like emoticons, here is one <edited out>.

after my post:
quote:

I certainly don't mind you posting here. I've enjoyed your posts thus far.

Perhaps you should use emoticons to indicate when you are joking.

I was trying to make peace.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 14:20:45
Will this ever die? I think message boarding might be a primary reason for offshoring.

First, I would like to thank Brett, Pat, and TallCowboy and anybody else I missed for riding to my rescue from DBForums. You guys are the best even though I am a no good dirty black hearted oppurtunist capitalist.

Second, I edited my sig a while ago to the "your screwed one" because only one fish ever bit and we could'nt come to terms.

Finally, Tara, I am sorry. I get angry sometimes, but over the years I have gotten better about it. There is science out there that shows when southerners of scotch-irish decent get threatened, their testosterone and adrenaline rise to levels well beyond other ethnic groups. Which means we get really pissed and it takes hours to cool off. Some of the most violent places on earth are Atlanta, GA and Richmond, VA.

Kiss and makeup?

Heh Pat,
If you are watching, I finally stopped stoking the fire for fun.

Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 14:27:59
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

Kiss and makeup?

Yes definitely!

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 14:57:43
You guys have obviously discussed this to death whilst I was hard at work!

So here's my two pennyworth

I'm not especially bothered by touting for work

But I don't think the first response a user sees to their question should be sarcastic etc. its just plain rude.

The use of a smily would stop the mis interpretted.

If you know the other person then that's different - but I still think a smiley is prudent so that on lookers don't get the wrong end of the stick.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 15:08:15
troublemaker. die thread. die. go pick on someone else. once the kids starting posting homewrok I am sure I will stay at my other messageboard more often.

Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 15:11:25
Oh, so this is where everyone went and everyone is kissing and friends again, what did I miss!

Corey's idea is good.
I had "looking for a well paid job with little to do" in my bio for ages.
No luck. Just changed it, maybe the luck will turn.

If many people started putting "Available for work... ta this 'n that" in their posts it would get really annoying.
It's not the right place IMO.

Next time I need a shitstirrer, I'll give Trachy a call.

If someone starts to lob truckloads of sarcasm and expect people to get the "joke",
they should expect some back. Sorry for my rude comment, in the thread.

Is this Your diplomatic side Brett ?,
I never saw that one before

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 15:12:15
quote:
I think message boarding might be a primary reason for offshoring

What does this mean?

I wish someone would start an Official XML Rant Thread.
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 15:22:35
quote:
Originally posted by Sitka

quote:

What does this mean?

Because people spend so much time in them they don't achieve any real work?

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 15:28:34
BTW, if we visit the thread in question, she went with my initial solution and enjoyed the humor.

Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through
Go to Top of Page

TallCowboy0614
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 15:30:28
Sheesh, I go to a meeting and miss all the kissing... par for the course.

Maybe I can get a late smooch in? Where's your smooch line, Sean?
(I would make it a manly-man smooch, most assuredly ;) )

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!" - Brian's mum
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-10 : 15:33:06
quote:
Originally posted by paulrandal

quote:
Originally posted by Sitka

quote:

What does this mean?

Because people spend so much time in them they don't achieve any real work?

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

That assumes message boarding gets in the way of work though.

Tara
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -