Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Microsofties

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 13:46:41
Paul [Randall] has dipped in to topics here of late, and on some other forums too I notice.

I get the impression that there is useful feedback that he, and his kith&kin, can harvest from such encounters, but realistically they are busy folk and its perhaps a lottery which posts they happen-upon unless influenced by some filtering process.

I wonder whether its worth someone at the top of the SQL Team tree proposing to Paul that they could provide periodic alerts to him [along the lines of "we're stumped and we think its worth you having a look if&when you have a moment"].

I'm thinking along the lines of there being a nominated contact so that Paul could get used to that contact providing a certain useful-ness of data (i.e. letting it through his time-waster filter!!)

Here's an example:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52230

Just a thought

Kristen

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 13:51:13
Kristen,

Microsofties do get involved in the Microsoft newsgroups. There are several SQL Server ones.

There are several SP4 related posts in the newsgroups. Here's the one I'm following, which an MS SQL Server guy is a participant in:
http://www.mcse.ms/showthread.php?s=0f0628d0b835643702e5c83a63b7c80a&threadid=1609509&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

I agree it would be nice if they helped out here too though.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 14:21:57
Thanks Tara, I was thinking more along the lines of us alerting them to posts that might be worthwhile them jumping in on - so that their limited time would be "most profitable" - that assumes we could spot the ones that were worthwhile , but I figure that's probably better than them just seeing What's New once a week ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 18:33:22
To me this raises a couple of interesting points

My first reaction was Yeah - Kristen is right (first time for every thing huh )

Then I thought, well if this happens, is there really an incentive for people to try to dig deeper for themselves. I don't know the answer to this, there may not be one!

Secondly, and it's a bit of a sideline really, should we just be answering the questions that people pose or should we be trying to give more information? This has come up in a few threads I have read recently. Is it the role of people here to nursemaid others or to push them in the right direction? If I say to someone "look in BOL for ..." I am trying to help them without making it too easy. Where Paul and people like him are concerned, there is no equivalent to this and so the information they provide is (IMO) invaluable as the alternative is to spend days/weeks/months digging into the internals of SQL server. One of the threads implied that he was wrong to do this but is that really the case?

What I am getting at is that the time of all of us is valuable (some more than others I admit) but we give it freely to this forum for whatever reason. I occasionaly post here in the hope that certain people who I know will have some relevant information will have the time to give me some clues to the answer I need. If they can't/won't/don't do that I have to live with it or re-post!

In summary, I like the idea but am not sure that it is practical.

steve (late on a wednesday with no work til monday )

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-30 : 11:01:39
I'm open to this idea. We have a system internally that tracks all the microsoft.* newsgroups that (for instance) I 'subscribe to' in the tool and notify me when no-one from MS or an MVP has posted. Doesn't mean someone has to go and post, but at least checkout the thread to make sure its been satisfactorily answered.

So - I already get these kind of alerts and I'd be open to having them from someone here. As I said to Rob and Graz when suggesting the Data Corruption forum, the signal to noise ratio here seems to be very high compared to Usenet and I check the posts here several times a day anyway. However, I tend to focus on my traditional areas of expertise (storage engine and CHECKDB/repair in particular) but I can easily get exact answers to any question on request.

I'd be happy to do this because (yes, this is corny) there's a customer who is stuck without the answer.

Thanks

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -