Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Questions regards UK Job market...

Author  Topic 

Wanderer
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-12 : 10:51:46
Hi all,

Apologies for posting this here - I don't see any other relevant places.

I've a few questions about the UK Job Market, and was hoping I might pick your brains a bit , as I am hoping (next year) to be diving into that market .

How much does pay differ between development dba work and production support?

What would typical SQL Server DBA pay range be, for permanent, with 5 years experience, in London? What would be low range and what would be high?

What are standard benefits / terms in the UK, like leave, pension, notice period etc.?

Very broadly, can anyone give me a rough indication of what I might expect Tax and other deductions to do to my salary? (For example, where I currently am, I can plan on taking about 56% of my monthly pay home, and tax, pension, etc. etc.)

Any hints that anyone can give me regards agencies, do's and don'ts, etc. etc.?

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Chaos, Disorder and Panic ... my work is done here!

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-12 : 12:47:44
http://www.theitjobboard.com/it-jobs/all/SQL/

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-13 : 03:13:45
Thanks Brett

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-13 : 03:33:59
Brett you're a star! I was getting minorly depressed last night looking at some job sites, that's really cheered me up.

Wanderer - Tax, National Insurance etc will take at least 1/3rd of your salary and that doesn't include pension any more

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-13 : 03:47:24
Steve, Thanks for that pointer...

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-13 : 14:11:21
1/3rd? Blimey, are you on Benefit?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-14 : 03:24:43
LOL, I did say AT LEAST

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-14 : 11:53:22
I deleted my original rant .... 40% tax, 10% National Insurance, 17.5% sales tax (different mathematical basis, I know, but that makes about 60% total). Then take a bit off for Pension - need more than before because pension profits are now taxed, so need more input to get the required growth.

So ... to spend 100 pounds you need to earn 250 pounds at least ....

To educate each child takes about 250,000 pounds - so plan on earning 750,000 pounds for each child. Same for a nanny for, say, 10 years spanning 2 or 3 kids.

Then there is the housekeeper, chauffer ...

So ... basically if you go out to work you will have NO chance of earning this much money - you will be FAR too busy WORKING.

What you need to do is give up work.

1) that will make you desperate
and
2) you will have enough time to work out how to get wealthy

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-14 : 14:56:04
Thanks Kristen - I feel so confident now ... *insert gunshot sound*

10% National insurance? What is that? I assume it applies to all employees, regardless of nationality...

... Are you serious about your numbers (i.e. +- 60%?) So on a salary of 30K, I could expect to get about 12K out - 100 a month? Ouch...

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

AndyB13
Aged Yak Warrior

583 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-14 : 15:12:07
You dont pay 40% income tax on 30K, its only 22% on anything under 32ish! (i think). Anything over and above that is charged at 40%

So on 30K you would expect to pay approx. 30% in contributions = 10K
But then you need to take off the tax allowance of 5K

So (rougly)
Gross Pay = 30,000
Less Allowance (5,000) = 25,000
X 30% Tax & NI = 8,000
Net Pay (17,000 + 5,000) = 22,000

Per Month = 1,800

Andy

Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-14 : 16:33:16
"10% National insurance?"

That's the part that pays for Unemployment Benefit, Pension rights etc. But its pretty worthless in practice - and the government aren't planning to pay any pensions by the time us lot retire.

Dunno if its required for non-UK nationals.

My figures assume a decent salary - you know, a couple of hundred thousand a year <vbg> because at that point the personal allowanced and lower tax bands don't make much impact, so the maths is much easier

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-06 : 10:17:34
Time advances, and this is coming on me soon now. Could be in the UK within about 4 months, or maybe even sooner.

If anyone has a moment to comment on the following questions, I would appreciate it
Never having been a contractor, I'm a bit uncertain as to how to approach it in the UK, especially given the "IR35" legislation. From what I've read, is seems that the way to go is via "unbrella companies" - is that accurate? If so, can anyone recommend any good ones?

Also, if anyone can comment on contract rates at the moment - does the range from 200+ all the way up to 600 per day still sound accurate?

What is the typical company approach to overtime and the working week like in the UK? No paid overtime? Standby ? 40 hour week? Are London based companies open to flexitime?

cIAo

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-06 : 12:17:34
All depends on the company (and agent if you go through an agent).
200 / day would be very low and more than 600/day is possible.

As to IR35 - it depends on the working practices.
Mostly on how much hassle you want. The IR picks on people and leaves them to prove them wrong. I think most people that fight tend to win but it can be expensive and time consuming. Hopefully it will be dropped at some point.

Overtime and working week also depends on the company. Some just want people there from 9 - 5 whether or not they accomplish anything - others don't care as long as you are effective. Usually a daily rate implies that you won't get overtime but again it depends. An hourly rate usually means that you have an agreed max hours to charge but if you are requested to work longer you get paid for it.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 03:36:50
Thanks for the responses NR.

From what I've read, agents typically take +- 20% - is that correct?

If I am able to go direct, would you recommend going the Umbrella company route? If so, does anyone have any comments on: www.parasolit.co.uk ? A friend of mine is going via them, but I'd like to get a wider sampling of opinion.

Given that I am completely new to the UK, doing the whole "fight with IR", especially from a point of ignornance, seems like a bad way to go.

Thanks again, and have a great year...

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 04:52:17
I've heard things both good and bad about parasolit.

For my short time as a contractor I went with www.contractorumbrella.com and they proved to be very efficient, with a good web-based time entry thingy.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 05:09:23
Thanks Mr Mist - will check them out.

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 06:48:47
On a vaguely related note (please forgive the digression), any suggestions regards internet connectivity, etc. Looks like there are a few 8 MB/s, but they seems to all state that those speeds depend on you location. Is 2 MB/s standard - can I expect to get that pretty much anywhere in London? Will I have issues trying to get it installed, or is it relatively simple? (In SA it is a nightmare trying to get the monopolist national telecom's company to do things, and frequently takes 2months+)

Any recommendations on cellphone, carriers etc.

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 07:38:57
8 MB is patchy, and I don't know about its relatively availability in London but "you would think so wouldn't you", although I expect that's an overzealous expectation!

Bulldog offer 8MB in lots of place but apparently have no usable user support. Avoid.

We live out in the sticks and have 2MB without any issues (although we do pay for Business usage - basically less contention)

In my personal experience I've had good service from Demon and Zen, but probably many others would give you good service too.

I would recommend using Vodaphone for your mobile. There are lots of me-too brands, including "large" ones such as Orange. I almost never have a problem getting a signal on Vodaphone, whereas folk I travel with, who are often using more catch brands like Orange and Virgin, frequently seem to be saying "I'll call you in a moment, the signal quality here is patchy"

YMMV of course

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 07:53:39
YMMV? Sorry - I fail to understand..

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like I should be able to bring my phone - it's triband (Ericson P900), so I'll like go with pay-as-you-go airtime initially, I think.

What other big things are there likely to be? Cable, TV etc. Are they 1 year long, or are the monthly deals etc.

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 08:04:25
"Your mileage may vary" ... you on Kilometres down there are you??!

As I understand it Cable tends to be poor in comparison to Sky [satellite], particularly Sky Plus - which has the ability to record two programs at once (i.e. to hard disk, rather than tape), single click "record this" from the on-screen schedules, stuff you've recorded appears in the on-screen list similarly to the scheduled programs - so "scroll an press play", you can have a second unit in the bedroom or kids room (or a remote to the first unit if a single controllable unit with multiple extensions will do you - e.g. watching recorded stuff in bed etc.), pause and instant playback [up to 20 minutes I think] of the live TV channel you are watching.

Along with Nokia Phones one of the best usability gadgets I've got lying around.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-09 : 08:08:26
Yes, we are on Km, but I haven't heard of YKMMV eiither

Hmmm - definitely sounds like something to look into.

Thanks againg for the info, all!!

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -