Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Are all our UK friends ok?

Author  Topic 

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 08:03:35
I just heard on the news about the bombs in London.
Hope all our UK friends are OK and prayers to all those hurt or who lost a loved one.

Acts like this are just plain Sick.

Jim
Users <> Logic

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 08:05:20
concerns from me too...
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52086

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 08:25:32
I also hope the friends are well there

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 09:15:44
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/index.html

New York, Madrid, London...

Get the picture...

I got a sis-in-law in London and we can't get through....

Where's Steve, Arnold, Nigel, Kristen, and all...

Any idea when the continent might realize this ain't no joke and throw in.

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx
Go to Top of Page

coolerbob
Aged Yak Warrior

841 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 10:40:19
At times like this, moving bits of data around a harddrive seems especially pointless.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 10:53:54
I think computer programming is pointless most of the time...

What gets me the most about these type of days is my feeling of ineptitude. You get angry and you want to do something but there is nothing but shadowy figures to lash out against. In the old style of warfare, we knew where the enemy was and we could do a D-Day invasion and once we took the capitol it was over. This will never be over. There is no clearly defined achievable goal and there will always be crazy people out there willing to do this stuff. It will be a war of attrition without end.

I was listening to this on the radio this morning driving away from the Pentagon on Columbia Pike in Arlington and an EMS SUV went speeding down the road with it's siren going off towards the Pentagon and I paniced a little and I flashed back to 9/11 when I could see and smell the smoke coming from the Pentagon. Been angry all day since.

Sean Roussy

Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.

I am available for consulting work. Just email me though the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 11:08:07
Reporting in Fit for Duty!

Even out in the sticks here the phones are iffy. May just be the number of people reporting unhurt to friends and relatives, and spreading news, in general.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

AndyB13
Aged Yak Warrior

583 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 11:23:13
quote:

I got a sis-in-law in London and we can't get through....

It's reported that the mobile phone network in London is unable to cope with demand at the moment. Keep trying Brett, hope she's OK.

Andy

Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 11:38:25
so foar noone has been able top come through to london.
i'm at a seminar and have a few british coleagues and noone could reach through yet.
keep trying...

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 12:19:54
Vodafone have reserved a lot of the bandwidth for emergency services so it's mostly out of action - same for most of the phones.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-07 : 14:09:23
I'm in the North so away from it thankfully. If you still haven't got through by mobile the advice is to persist. Hope everyone is ok.

Am on a course in the centre of Leeds, the whole city was strangely quiet this afternoon

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 00:09:58
I just wanted to give my sympathies to everyone in the UK also. Our thoughts are with you. I'll never understand what makes people do this. I guess I'm too much of a logic 0 and 1 person. Hope everyone was safe that participates on the boards.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 08:54:13
Got an email from the sis-in-law....they where out of town when it all came down....

Why the UN doesn't do something is beyond me.....

Hell at least NATO....

If there is a way to "solve" this, it is to have every nation on this earth involved....and not just tacit help (France)...Just past he 1 year anniversary in March for Madrid (in which the spaniards voted in fear and changed the course of their country), and coming up on the 4 year anniversary in NY and Washington (In which the tried to alter the course of history in this country by trying to take out the White House, but for the heroic efforts of a brave group)...never mind the countless acts around the world...do people have such really short memories?

There's not enough tequila....I'm p1$$ed

I saw the towers fall with my own eyes from the first Mountain outside of NYC (West Orange, NJ Eagle Rock Reservation). I still can't shake it.

Brett

8-)

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 09:37:17
Technically, it was'nt Washington. The Pentagon is on the Virginia side of the Potomac and I get a little peaved everytime I hear NY, PA and Washington(?) referenced in regards to 9/11. Soledad O'Brian on CNN in the morning only mentions NY when she talks about 9/11

The Useless Nations (UN)? That is funny. The last time the UN did anything militarily significant was Korea and most of that was us. All they seem to do is stand by and watch massacres in Rwanda and Bosnia and steal aid money and otherwise act as a scourge to any country they get involved in.

Solutions? Brett, you really got me going this morning. These people are not fighting for a flag, or a leader, or some pie inn the sky idea like communism or facism, they are fighting for their god. It is one thing to let Pol Pot down, you can get away from him. God for believers is a little stickier. Throw ideas like vengeance and honor into the mix and this can go on until both sides grow weary. Could be a couple of generations (see Israel).

I am not saying we should not fight. We must. But we all must understand the scope of this thing.

Sean Roussy

Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.

I am available for consulting work. Just email me through the forum.
Go to Top of Page

ajthepoolman

384 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 10:10:30
I don't remember who said it, but someone said that the length of a war is shorted by how brutal it is.

As said above, we are not fighting an honorable military installation here. As sick as this might sound, I have much more respect for the allied and axis soliders from WWII than I do these suicide bomber punks. As disgusting as our WWII enemies were, at least they were fighting for something tangible. I can respect a German solider for following orders to invade or secure a battle point. But these dirtbag terrorists strike iconic targets and then scurry back to their little holes and pat eachother on the back for destroying the enemy. They don't have the balls to stand down and go hand to hand when a flock of soliders are marching their way. They would rather knock down towers of steel and concrete so that the world can watch it fall under its own weight.

Nameless, faceless cowards in the shadows. If this is the new form of warfare, then our only option may be to turn entire timezones into shimmering plates of glass from nuclear warheads. It is a shame to think that it has come to this, but the organized militaries of the world are a bit too civilized to strap a bomb to themselves or their children so that they can take out a bus or two.

I would love to say that the military should just sweep through Afgan striking down everything that moves. But for the love of God, there are innocent people who don't deserve that. It isn't their fault that these worms have decided to take refuge in their homeland. And we can't give decent people the chance to flee, for the cowards who staged the attacks will just follow them, blending in.

I don't have the answers, but this terrorist stuff is really annoying. I guess that the worlds superpowers will just have to keep taking the high road and hope that this all goes away someday.

Aj
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 10:16:37
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

Technically, it was'nt Washington. The Pentagon is on the Virginia side of the Potomac and I get a little peaved everytime I hear NY, PA and Washington(?) referenced in regards to 9/11. Soledad O'Brian on CNN in the morning only mentions NY when she talks about 9/11

The Useless Nations (UN)? That is funny. The last time the UN did anything militarily significant was Korea and most of that was us. All they seem to do is stand by and watch massacres in Rwanda and Bosnia and steal aid money and otherwise act as a scourge to any country they get involved in.

Solutions? Brett, you really got me going this morning. These people are not fighting for a flag, or a leader, or some pie inn the sky idea like communism or facism, they are fighting for their god. It is one thing to let Pol Pot down, you can get away from him. God for believers is a little stickier. Throw ideas like vengeance and honor into the mix and this can go on until both sides grow weary. Could be a couple of generations (see Israel).

I am not saying we should not fight. We must. But we all must understand the scope of this thing.

Sean Roussy

The UN tries, it's when countries like the US just go to war without taking steps in resolving problems. A lot of it was brought on by itself, the reason to go to Iraq was flawed, and don't tell me it wasn't considering how many people stepped down from the Bush Administration and how many FBI / CIA agents who admitted a lot of incorrect allegations.

I'm still waiting for the WMD and the link of Iraq on 9/11. I'm not praising Saddam or Bush, I think they are both responsible. Just look at how many servicemen have past away in the line of duty with people who are killing themselves to go to heaven? Does that even make sense to send troops to destroy people who are willing to destroy themselves?

A lot of it is misunderstood as well, many people watch CNN and read the news and think hey these guys are all cowards. That they are but don't forget how many cowards were involved in the prison scandals and the killing of innocent lives. If someone flew a plane over my house and accidentally killed my family members I'd be a little peeved off myself. Some of these "terrorists" are only committing crimes because they have suffered from crimes of war by other nations. The answer is not going back to doing the same thing against other countries, they are taking their frustration off on what has happened to their families.

When talking about crimes such as these we have to remember both sides. 4 bombs that go off killing 40 people in london is awful, but these things happen everyday in places like Iraq where at times there can be more than 50 deaths, but there is hardly any media about this. These deaths could and most are innocent people as well but we hardly hear about it. All things must be considered when talking about war, it never is one way.

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]
Imperfection living for perfection --
[url]http://jhermiz.blogspot.com/[/url]
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 10:21:24
Mea Culpa...Arlington VA

Anyone look at google maps yet? THe satellite images are amazing

http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/pentagon/index.html

They're saying they've built it using AJAX....

Brett

8-)

Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 10:31:40
quote:
Originally posted by jhermiz

When talking about crimes such as these we have to remember both sides. 4 bombs that go off killing 40 people in london is awful, but these things happen everyday in places like Iraq where at times there can be more than 50 deaths

Is this the same people killing their own people, for their own sake?. They are killing people who are trying to recover from years of oppression and establish a free country. Duh.

quote:

but there is hardly any media about this. These deaths could and most are innocent people as well but we hardly hear about it.

No, you hear about it everyday. Everytime there is a roadside bombing, whatever, it's in the papers, on tv, or I hear it on NPR (That liberal biased media) every morning. I don't know what you're talking about.

Nor, do I suspect you do for that matter.

EDIT: Thanks for a glimpse into to the inner working of their minds

Brett

8-)

Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 10:34:03

Key thing is you hear about it , maybe a small article or a mention of it, but it most certainly does not get coverage like what happened yesterday.

quote:

Nor, do I suspect you do for that matter

Coming from a drunk.

Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 10:37:48
quote:
Originally posted by X002548

quote:
Originally posted by jhermiz

When talking about crimes such as these we have to remember both sides. 4 bombs that go off killing 40 people in london is awful, but these things happen everyday in places like Iraq where at times there can be more than 50 deaths

Is this the same people killing their own people, for their own sake?. They are killing people who are trying to recover from years of oppression and establish a free country. Duh.

quote:

but there is hardly any media about this. These deaths could and most are innocent people as well but we hardly hear about it.

No, you hear about it everyday. Everytime there is a roadside bombing, whatever, it's in the papers, on tv, or I hear it on NPR (That liberal biased media) every morning. I don't know what you're talking about.

Nor, do I suspect you do for that matter.

EDIT: Thanks for a glimpse into to the inner working of their minds

Brett

8-)

"Thanks for Thanks for a glimpse into to the inner working of their minds"

I do a lot of reading and research, you should try before you judge.

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-08 : 10:45:16
Brett,

Google Earth is the coolest thing on the internet I have seen in a long time.

Jhermiz,
You are apologizing for these people? No one was talking about Iraq and arguments about who started it are stupid. How far do you want to go back? Beruit, the Iran histage crises, Western colonialism, the 7 days war, the Moors in Spain, the Ottaman Empire, the Crusades, Issac and Ishmail?

Friends of mine I grew up with are in or have been to Iraq and Afganistan and I pray for them everyday. If it were for not federal student loans, grants, and scholarships I might be over there myself. They are fighting people who would not allow you to express your opinions if they had their way, they would rather see you dead just for the reason of your faith and nationality.

The main difference I guess is that we are aiming at the bad guys and innocents get killed and they are aiming at innocents and that is all they are killing.

Equivocating terrorism and self defense or revolution is not just wrong, it is sick and ignorant.

Sean Roussy

Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -