Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2005)
 User defined reports

Author  Topic 

repairer
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-04 : 06:12:13
Hi,

First off, sorry if this is worded/explained incorrectly.

I am not too technical or familiar with SQL2005 Enterprise

I run a web application that users can use to run/manage their business, included in this is a suite of reports.

At the moment all the reports are "pre set" in the system, if that is the best word to describe, so effectively the users can only run the reports we offer them.

before I approach the developers who do our development I thought I would try get some advice from users of this forum, my question is..

Could I have reporting function within my web application that would allow a user to "build" their own report? so the user would decide on what data is produced within the report? this would be within reason as I know if it is possible and I allowed large reports to be produced it might "flatten" system resources.

Is it possible? if it is, is it something that is within SQL2005 or is it a third party product.

Hope I explained this so it makes sense.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

sz1
Aged Yak Warrior

555 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-04 : 06:20:52
If you are using full SQL product why not use SSRS reporting services and enable/allow the report builder for users to create their own reports via the reporting services site. If they logon to AD they can run report builder local too and publish direct to a specified folder area.

Otherwise for BI you could use SSAS cubes and allow reporting thru Excel and PowerView, although you need SharePoint to run, Power View is now a feature of Microsoft Excel 2013.

We are the creators of our own reality!
Go to Top of Page

repairer
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-04 : 06:36:18
Hi,

many thanks for the prompt reply, would it be something a non technical person could do? basically the end users have little experience in compiling a report, at the moment the just select a report based on what it is titled, would what you suggest be "user friendly"

thanks

pete
Go to Top of Page

sz1
Aged Yak Warrior

555 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-04 : 07:04:20
You will need someone to setup Reporting Services, ideally seperate to the live SQL instance, this is easy enough by changing the setup to include SSRS, although you would need seperate install for standalone reporting services server, this is better option.

You then need to setup using Reporting Services Config Manager to config the URl, permissions, database...(is the web app internal or external).

The report builder is very easy to use after a few goes users can create simple reports with some assistance. PowerView is really easy to use and is nice to work with and especially easy for end users. If your users have Excel 2013 they can connect to SQL and drag and drop fields, although setting up a SSAS cube would be better as it can be taliored beforehand making it easy for users to see whats what, but thats another bundle of work for your techy guys.

You can get a standalone version of report builder here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=6116

Alternatively, use the report builder from reporting services, if you want quick easy reports use PowerView with Excel 2013.

We are the creators of our own reality!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -