Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Freelance consulting

Author  Topic 

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 04:28:03
I've been thinking for a while to go in to the consultancy business on my own, doing sql server development along with ssis and ssrs. The market for dwh-people is pretty good these days so but I'm unsure how I get myself started off. I have a quite big morgage on my house and I can't afford to stay out of business for very long at a time... I know some of you guys are in to consulting, do you have any tips for for a startup like me?

- Lumbago
My blog-> www.thefirstsql.com

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 04:31:33
I had posted the same question not so long time back.Have a look below.

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=151449

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 09:53:34
Following PBUH's link, be sure to read the articles that Tara posted in reply.
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 16:01:11
I probably can give some input here, since you are my neighbour.

It hard in the beginning. You will have to compete with the established companies and their marketing budgets.
Your advantage is that you have less overhead to cover office rent costs and other stuff.

Don't think you can bill all your time (8 hours/day).
It takes time to visit and sell yourself to a new company. It takes about 10-20 hours to get to know the company and let them know what you can and can't do.
And what about support? My experience is that you spend about 1/3 of your time developing and doing the fun stuff.
You spend about 1/3 of the time in contact with potential customer regarding new work and existing customer regarding support issues.
And you spend about 1/3 of your time doing the book-keeping, marketing, visit seminars, educating yourself, reading books.

//Peter

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 16:56:48
uh oh - will you and peso be competing for the same projects?

my conservative advice would be to start slow if possible. that is, if you can do it on the side at the same time as your day job, it's not as much of a risk. if it starts taking off to the point where doing both is impossible, then it's more safe to quit your day job at that point.

or, if you have money saved up to the point where you could pay 6 mortgage payments in a row with NO INCOME at all, then quitting day job is a little less risky.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso

30421 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 17:10:18
No, I am not taking much freelance these days. I did before the kids were born. Freelancing made me miss my daughters birth.
So, I am now contracted until further notice with a company in Malmö to some serious work for them.
Maybe I go freelance again when my kids are older. But for now, my fourth kid is expected in may.

I do still have some customers which I help out by using Terminal Services. But this happens in the evening, after kids and wife have gone to bed.
It makes a fair share of money tough...

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 17:11:10
Have at least 6 months total expenses in the bank (or plans for an alternate source of income) before you quit. You'll likely need it.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

dataguru1971

1464 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 18:01:13
Based on the number "DBA's" that post a clear lack of knowledge about their job...there should be no shortage of work. The hard part is those first few deals to build a reputation for your product and services (as was stated above)

I would start by doing it on the side at first..seek out small, quick hit part time projects that you can do after hours. Maybe...

Just do what other people here do....take jobs you are unqualified for, then post questions on forums to have experts write the code for you.
Be sure to include lots of titles in your sig--the more the better--it helps when the experts see that you too are an expert requiring assistance.

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 18:36:13
quote:
Originally posted by dataguru1971

Based on the number "DBA's" that post a clear lack of knowledge about their job...there should be no shortage of work.

I don't see what that has to do with it. He'll be developing databases, and then (hopefully) future-proofing them to run hassle-free until such time as their owners need a DBA or BI reporter due to growth.
Go to Top of Page

dataguru1971

1464 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 18:55:53
It was a reference to the number of posts here by self-proclaimed DBA's who don't know what a join is :). Not anything directed at his particular intent..I am sure he will do fine of course.

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

331 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 19:32:59
Have a good CPA

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-03 : 03:35:27
A lot of good tips here, thanx alot! Peso is about a 6 hours drive away from me in a different country so I don't think we'll be competing anytime soon :) There is no chance I'll be able to make up 6 months worth of money in the next 10 years with my current job, but luckily the wife has just got a new job as a dentist in a private dental office so her contribution to the family economy will be substantial. That might leave some room for me not having to make as much in the beginning. What I have been thinking is that I want to get in to datawarehouse projects...they have a tendency to last for years at a time and hourly rates are very good. I can't charge what the big consultancy firms charge but even with a 30% cut compared to them, the pay will still be very decent. It's just a matter of finding such a project...or finding a consultancy firm that are willing to use me as a subcontractor :)

- Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-03 : 04:44:09
quote:
Originally posted by dataguru1971

It was a reference to the number of posts here by self-proclaimed DBA's who don't know what a join is :). Not anything directed at his particular intent..I am sure he will do fine of course.

Then I'll put it another way. You wrote,

"Based on the number "DBA's" that post a clear lack of knowledge about their job...there should be no shortage of work"

The data you entered above, asserting that an abundance of potential Development work was a probability, conditional to prevailing standards of Administration, is factually incorrect.

Now...what is this "Join" thing you speak of, young man??!?!

:)
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso

30421 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-03 : 05:01:18
quote:
Originally posted by Lumbago

It's just a matter of finding such a project...or finding a consultancy firm that are willing to use me as a subcontractor :)

In Sweden, there is such a company called eWork.
Goto http://www.ework.se/currentProjects.cfm and choose Norway. They are "consultant brokers" and if you have a company of your own you can apply to do the job.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-03 : 07:06:17
Yeah, I know about eWork...I'm actually a subscriber but no relevant projects have appeared recently.

- Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-03 : 07:59:22
quote:
Originally posted by Lumbago

Yeah, I know about eWork...I'm actually a subscriber but no relevant projects have appeared recently.

- Lumbago

What about direct marketing? Identify the companies likeliest to use your services and approach them directly?
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-04 : 03:27:31
I have called up a few also but no takers so far.

Peso: can I ask what your price range was/is? I'm thinking about charging around 700-750 NOK/h (which with the current ex-rate is about 120-130USD). This is about 30-40% less than the consultancy companies charge for BI consultants...do you think that makes sense?

- Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso

30421 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-04 : 05:23:50
I have no fixed price range. It depends on the scope of the project.
I have learned to charge not what the gig is worth to me, but what it is worth to the customers.
Having a fixed hourly rate makes no sense to me. I mean, it takes different knowledge if I am just going to document and inspect a solution, or build a new application with 4000 simultaneous users.

I normally charge between $90 and $150 per hour (more often in the upper side).
I have in rare occassions charged as little as $50/h and as much as $770/h.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-04 : 08:13:44
>> I have in rare occassions charged as little as $50/h and as much as $770/h.

dont' forget the lost yaks you save here - $0/hr.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-15 : 21:56:12
I STILL say that GRAZ should start a consulting groupo with the talent here

Stack bodies Bill

I'll sign up...somebody needs a clown

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link