Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Search Feature

Author  Topic 

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-25 : 14:16:55
No matter what I enter into the search box, I get "page not found". I'm guessing there is an issue with the search feature as opposed to my desktop???

Terry

-- Procrastinate now!

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-25 : 14:48:21
works for me...
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-25 : 15:01:01
Which search box?

1) The big SEARCH with "Google Custom Search" and a [Go] button

2) The Search link http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/search.asp - which just searches the forums

Perhaps you have some scripts disabled by your browser - cross scripting perhaps? (I'm guessing though ...)
Go to Top of Page

vijayisonly
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1836 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-25 : 17:19:06
Terry...
I had (and still have) the same problem...Documented here.
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138368

Any chance , you are getting the results the second time you do the same thing...

Sounds kinda stupid..but tht worked for me.
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-26 : 02:36:45
I also get that error with the google search box, but if you click go again, it works.

I knew a dev once who implemented a sort algorithm that didn't work. Instead of fixing it, he just called sort() twice and claimed that it worked then.

Maybe he works for google now? :)

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-26 : 02:43:52
lol

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-26 : 08:23:54
Thanks all for the responses. It does work the second time (usually). I have a feeling Kristen may be right on the money. And quite possibly, based on Vijay's topic, I also have a feeling it may be an older version of IE. Been waiting for 3 months now for my new desktop from the help desk so I didn't want to load any updates. Maybe it's time to do it my way, which would be against company policy, but how long should I reasonably have to wait? My current desktop is a real dog!

Terry

-- Procrastinate now!
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-26 : 08:35:19
The "Google Customer Search" replies on this in the source code:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/coop/cse/brand?form=searchbox_011171816663894899992%3Aaow51lf_dim"></script>

which is definitely cross-site-scripting.

I do wonder how XSS is going to pan out. I see lots of DEVs advocating coding their generic Javascript libraries (JQuery and the like) to link directly to Google's code site. no doubting the speed of Google's servers, worldwide, and the fact that the script is likely to be cached from a different site the user visited, but I also wonder how many people will never be able to see/use such sites!

Its also likely that site's Forms won't SUBMIT, because they will need Javascript Slinky-ness , and then the user will have no way of sending a ContactUs form to tell them!
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-26 : 09:15:00
"Javascript Slinky-ness" - I like it, just what I needed this morning! Wait until I use this phrase on the developers and feign surprise when they don't know what it is - although, to mask their "lack" of knowledge, some will try and babble their way through an explanation. "Slinky-ness, oh we've been using that for at least a couple of years!"...

Terry

-- Procrastinate now!
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-26 : 09:47:18
Do you want the rest of my wordlist from my bullshit-bingo list for today?
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-17 : 08:55:06
I have the same problem with the "google custom search" on this forum.
Getting the results the second time I do the same thing...

IE 8 and FireFox 3.6

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

vijayisonly

1836 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-17 : 09:16:16
Mine got a bit more weirder these days...I get a popup saying "Operation aborted"..and then a "Page Cannot be Displayed" error..
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 12:52:38
I believe this is fixed. The Google search box worked from the main site but not from the forums. Who knows how long that had been broken. Anyway. If you have any more problems with the Google Search box please report them here.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

donald1
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 15:27:47
quote:
Originally posted by webfred

I have the same problem with the "google custom search" on this forum.
Getting the results the second time I do the same thing...

hi,
i also have same problem....help me

donald

(link removed)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -