Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 And along came a spider...

Author  Topic 

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-27 : 20:24:12
It appears someone came to SQLTeam recently and pulled all the email addresses out of the member profiles. They used those email addresses to send out a press release about a new product.

That product is not associated with or endorsed by SQLTeam in any way. I did not give or sell them your email addresses. They did not ask my permission prior to sending the press releases. I do not sell my mailing list. I did speak with them on the phone and they wanted me to pass on their apologies.

As a result I've updated the site to hide your email addresses. They are still in the database but they are no longer visible on the web site. You can still view a member's profile and send them an email (if you're a register user). You just won't be able to see their email address during the process. At some point in the future I'll update the code so you can decide if your email should be visible. This seemed like a good compromise.

I'm sorry I didn't complete that sooner. Spam is one of my least favorite things and feel personally bad that I've allowed you to receive an extra piece. You have my apologies.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-27 : 20:29:42
Apology accepted!

DavidM
It gets windy at a thousand feet...."Tutorial D"
Go to Top of Page

nlocklin
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-27 : 21:50:35
No problem. That's a pretty crappy thing for people to do, and an amazingly bad way to try and market a product. They should have realized (especially with a saavy group like ours) that people would figure out where they got our e-mail addresses from.

You should tell them that you'd be glad to pass along their press releases in the future - for a fee! I'd be glad to receive product announcements from SQLTeam.com if I knew it would be supporting your site.

--
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

1157 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-27 : 22:40:02
quote:

You should tell them that you'd be glad to pass along their press releases in the future - for a fee! I'd be glad to receive product announcements from SQLTeam.com if I knew it would be supporting your site.

Agreed! I realize there is no free lunch. I can live with spam, when it comes to the internet it goes with the package. But I'd like to know that it benefits SQLTeam.com rather than coming at it's expense.

Justin

Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-28 : 05:34:58
Cheap tricks don't work.....if it's a serious product, then it should be advertised properly. These guy's obviously don't understand the SQLTeam community - and that they've shot themselves in the foot on this one. A proper ad on SQLTeam.com with some "word of mouth" referrals from there on, would be far more productive. Obviously some organisations haven't learnt the lessons of the non-effectiveness of SPAM in the past 3 years - but then I suppose there have always been some snake-oil merchants out there.

"If you pay peanuts, don't be surprised if you get monkeys working for you".

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-28 : 13:37:32
Graz,

I appreciate your honesty and integrity. It's unfortunate that SQLTeam was victimized like that. We'd like to think that people are better than that.

And as Andrew Murphy pointed out, they'd have been a LOT smarter to work WITH the SQLTeam community, and then they may have gotten some good recommendations like The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL gets.

-------------------
It's a SQL thing...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -