Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Legal Recourse...?

Author  Topic 

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 11:28:38
So, I've got an issue. This topic is to more-or-less vent...so pardon the intense bias I will be displaying here.

My boss has forgotten to submit my pay 2 times in the past 2 months. So, my rent, car payment, etc. have gone on my credit card two times. I -should-, in theory, receive both of these paychecks in 2 weeks, along with my regular pay. However, I have discovered that my latest pay has not yet been approved and it is due in 40 minutes. I've told my boss twice today to approve it before the deadline...he's in a meeting right now, so apparently cannot do it.

My question is, what can I do about this to prevent it in the future? I'm a salary employee, not union, so I don't really have much backing. They also seem to have a lot of "jerking" room as far as treating salary employees like crap...soooo...I'm beyond frustrated.

If I miss another paycheck, I seriously think I'll quit what I consider to be one of the best jobs of my life. I cannot handle the stress of not knowing whether or not I'll be able to pay my bills...and a 25% interest rate on my credit card doesn't make for cheap rent/car payments.

Someone care to set me straight or put things into perspective? I've think I may be thinking more with my PO'd emotions than my head. lol.

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 11:38:33
You should probably start looking for another job.

Usually the only reason for a company to miss a paycheck is because of financial problems. Are there other signs of financial distress, like creditors calling, vendors refusing to extend credit, utilities shutoff, failure to fund health insurance plans, etc.?

If you are a regular employee of the company, in most states you can contact the state labor department about this. Once a company has missed paying employees, they usually have the power to intervene by seizing the company’s assets.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 11:39:10
my first job was exactly like that. i quit after a year and a half after i got burned by exactly that kind of stuff.

> the best jobs of my life

doubt it

Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 11:52:53
MVJ - No, it's definitely not a problem with funds...it's seriously my boss forgetting to pay me. I'm the only one he has to approve pay for, so he's not used to having to do it every Monday. I work for [company name here]...they're in the middle of a decent profitable hump, so it's not because of funds.

spirit - I honestly do really like the job...such a wide variety of exposure to different things. Great experience for me :)

Thank you both for replying. Glad to know that I'm not overreacting...and I'll be starting a job-hunt tonight.

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 11:56:20
agreed. I'd look for a new job.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 11:59:40
You should immediately complain to Payroll, HR, and your boss’s boss. Make a big deal about it and demand that they immediately issue manual paychecks for any missed pay. If they don’t offer immediate relief, contact the state labor department.

There is no excuse for forgetting to pay an employee, and the company should have procedures in place to prevent this.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 12:00:24
MVJ - ok, will do...thanks again :)

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 12:00:40
AAAND he just approved my pay.

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 12:05:02
congratulations! go pat him on the back...

Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 12:12:47
I think I'm still a wee bit too feral at the moment to make sure the claws stay in while doing said pat-on-the-back. lol.

DavidChel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 12:30:34
I don't think you're over-reacting either. My last employer's payroll check bounced one time. I raised holy hell over it because I was really embarassed and incurred penalties with my bank. It turned out to be an honest mistake and they paid for everything.

I would be out looking for another job if this happened more than once. Payroll is sacred in my book.
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 12:32:54
i usually give them 3 strikes

Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 13:36:04
So any of you/your employers looking to hire a mostly inexperienced DBA or a semi-decent programmer? Will work parttime or fulltime. Willing to relocate! ;)

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 13:41:54
I don't understand why the paychecks aren't automated, especially for a large corporation.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 13:43:55
Sure.
We currently have 5 positions to fill.

E 12°55'05.25"
N 56°04'39.16"
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 13:49:15
Tara - they are...he has to approve them electronically (all it takes is the push of a button) by noon Tuesday for it to be considered on-time (for the previous week). If he fails to click the button, poof...no pay. And a pain in the ass for recourse since it's all automated and the main facility's in Pittsburgh, PA (and we're in Minnesota). There's a reason why I try to remain freelance...blah.

Peso - haha, I'll let ya know when my passport clears :P

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 13:55:40
It isn't automated if someone needs to push a button.

I'd submit an expense report with my credit card interest to my boss if I didn't get paid on-time and I incurred fees as a result.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 13:58:17
ahh, gotcha. The company requires managers to authorize all hours worked...even though we have to swipe in to open the doors to get in.

Ha...you are devious. I may see if I can get away with that.

Michael Valentine Jones

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 14:14:22
If you are on a salary, I don’t understand why they would have to approve your hours to get paid, since you should be getting paid the same amount.

Systems designed to control door entry are not usually used to determine payroll hours, because they are not meant to accurately collect that data. For example, one person opens the door, and 5 people walk in without swiping their card. Also, you usually do not have to swipe a card to leave the building.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 14:19:15
Our client actually bills us for amount of hours we put in. The salary is paid by the client for each of resource working on their project.And there havent been any instances of missing pays till date.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-15 : 14:22:15
visakh16, what you've described sounds like a consultancy gig. A salaried employee is a different scenario altogether.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -