Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Resistance to Change.

Author  Topic 

DavidChel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-01 : 12:52:44
I've mentioned in other posts that my primary responsibility here is to manage our ERP system which uses a SQL database. I use VBA, and Visual FoxPro to customize it. My VBA customizations automate tedious processes in our ERP system and save valuable time.

However, it never ceases to amaze me when you approach a user who has this tedious job which requires hours of boring "busy-work" every day, and you suggest an idea to stream line it, how often they refuse. People are so resistant to change. They'd rather just continue with the current process even though it is not effective.

How many of you run into this type of attitude at work?

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-01 : 13:05:23
When they stop messing around with those abacuses (abaci?), I will ask around.
Go to Top of Page

jimf
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2875 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-01 : 13:17:04
It's not that people are resistant to change, they're resistant to becoming unnecessary. If it's somebody's job to push the red button every three minutes and you write a program that will do it for them, they're now obsolete. These are people who are afraid of having their incompetence discovered.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-01 : 13:29:46
I think it is more a problem of having to learn a whole new system. A lot of folks outside of IT do not enjoy having to re-learn their entire jobs every 4 or 5 years.
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-01 : 14:44:48
Automate 20% of someone's job, and they become grateful.
Automate 80% of someone's job, and they become vengeful.

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-02 : 15:09:15
Automate my job, and I'll think you're a god.

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-02 : 16:20:24
the real trick is to automate the job automator's job.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-02 : 16:34:28
ooo...

1 point to jez!

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-03 : 02:54:18
quote:
Originally posted by DavidChel

I've mentioned in other posts that my primary responsibility here is to manage our ERP system which uses a SQL database. I use VBA, and Visual FoxPro to customize it. My VBA customizations automate tedious processes in our ERP system and save valuable time.

However, it never ceases to amaze me when you approach a user who has this tedious job which requires hours of boring "busy-work" every day, and you suggest an idea to stream line it, how often they refuse. People are so resistant to change. They'd rather just continue with the current process even though it is not effective.

How many of you run into this type of attitude at work?

Are you kidding? You use FoxPro and VBA and you say the people you work with are resistant to change?!?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -