Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Script Library
 Date extension

Author  Topic 

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-07 : 03:58:57
I've been using Michaels excellent date function [url]http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61519[/url] quite honestly it has saved me loads of time (the e-beers are on me)

For my purposes I need to work sometimes with Financial Years and I also need the Dates available to SQL Server 7. So I used Michaels function to create a table and added two fields (possibly more to follow). Please note that this has only been done on SQL Server 2000

ALTER TABLE DATEINFO
ADD -- Needs these to allow NULL so that the Alter Table will work.
FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE [datetime] null , -- the start date for the financial year
FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_YEAR [smallint] null , -- the year that the financial years starts in depending on the Financial Year Start Date

Given that the table is then populated by Michaels function, to set the FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE I used

/* @ARBITRARY_FINANICAL_YEAR_START_DATE is SET to any date that would be the start date of a financial year
only the day and month parts are important, so in this case the start of the financial year is 1 April
*/
DECLARE @ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE DATETIME
SET @ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE = '20060401'
UPDATE DATEINFO
SET FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE =
CASE
WHEN DATEDIFF(dd,DATEADD(yy, year([DATE]) - YEAR(@ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE), @ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE),[DATE]) < 0
Then DATEADD(YY,YEAR([DATE])- YEAR(@ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE) -1, @ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE)
Else DATEADD(YY,YEAR([DATE])- YEAR(@ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE) , @ARBITRARY_FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE)
END

With that it is trivial to set FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_YEAR to YEAR(FINANCIAL_YEAR_START_DATE)

steve

-----------

Don't worry head. The computer will do all the thinking from now on.

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-07 : 17:10:50
I stayed away from the whole subject of financial periods when I wrote F_TABLE_DATE. I found that there are many different methods for defining fiscal years and periods that tend to be industry specific.

Many organizations use some variation on calendar months, usually starting with January, but any month is possible.

Some use financial years and periods that are designed to make each financial period a whole number of weeks. This is common in businesses, like retail sales, where the business cycle is highly oriented towards weeks. One way is to have 12 financial periods in a year with 4 weeks, 5 weeks, and 4 weeks in each quarter, with the periods starting on a set day of the week. Another variation is to have 13 financial periods of 4 weeks each; obviously, in this scenario fiscal quarters have no meaning. Because the fiscal years are not exactly the same length as calendar years, it is necessary to have an extra week in the year every few years. Usually the year has a nominal start date, like February 1, with an actual start date of January 29 through February 4, similar to the logic for ISO weeks.

There may be others out there. It seems to be limited only by the imagination of accountants and what the tax man will accept.

Does anyone know of any other variations?

Suggestions for additional columns you might want:
FINANCIAL_YEAR_NAME: FY 2007 or FY 2007-2008, etc.
FINANCIAL_QUARTER: 1,2,3,etc.
FINANCIAL_QUARTER_NAME: FY Q1, FY Quarter 1, etc.
FINANCIAL_PERIOD: 1,2,3,etc.
FINANCIAL_PERIOD_NAME: Jan, FY Period 01, etc.
FINANCIAL_WEEK: 1,2,3,etc.
FINANCIAL_WEEK_NAME: FY Week 01, FY Week 02,
FINANCIAL_YEAR_QUARTER: 200701, 200702, etc.
FINANCIAL_YEAR_QUARTER_NAME: FY 2007 Q1, FY 2007 Q1, etc.
FINANCIAL_YEAR_PERIOD: 200701, 200702, etc.
FINANCIAL_YEAR_PERIOD_NAME: FY 2007 Jan, FY 2007 Period 01, etc.
FINANCIAL_YEAR_WEEK: 200701, 200702, etc.
FINANCIAL_YEAR_WEEK_NAME: FY 2007 Week 01, FY 2007 W02, etc.
FINANCIAL_YEAR_SEQ_NO: 1,2,3, etc. continuing in sequence
FINANCIAL_QUARTER_SEQ_NO: 1,2,3, etc. continuing in sequence
FINANCIAL_PERIOD_SEQ_NO: 1,2,3, etc. continuing in sequence
FINANCIAL_WEEK_SEQ_NO: 1,2,3, etc. continuing in sequence

There are enough variations of additional columns that could be needed, that you may want to consider creating another table.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-08 : 08:14:38
Yes I strongly suspected that you had deliberately left them out. I may need financial quarters based on a quarter of a year starting on the financial year start date. If I do I will post the code if I think it may be useful to some.

The thorny one I may need is holidays though I seem to recall there was some code on the site for that - must look it up

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-08 : 09:30:06
quote:
Originally posted by elwoos

Yes I strongly suspected that you had deliberately left them out. I may need financial quarters based on a quarter of a year starting on the financial year start date. If I do I will post the code if I think it may be useful to some.

The thorny one I may need is holidays though I seem to recall there was some code on the site for that - must look it up

steve

-----------

I think this link has logic for many UK hilodays, and calculations for Easter:
Create Date Table with UK & Easter bank holidays
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49711

Some of the links here may be helpful:
Date/Time Info and Script Links
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64762

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-11 : 03:30:54
Many thanks Michael

The first link is the one I had in mind when I made my comments

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -