Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 couple of questions from a new Yak

Author  Topic 

dinakar
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2507 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-27 : 19:16:23
Now I see this forums is quite similar to the SQL-Server-Performance.com site where I do participate occassionally. And over there, (1) I could click on my userid and see my posts and quickly check if there were updates (2) there is also an Unanswered Posts link along with the "Profile...Register...ActiveTopics.." links.

Are these features available only for veteran Yaks or are they not available at all? I am also a moderator @ ASP.NET forums and we do have features becoming available as the user posts more often and gets recognized..So I was wondering if its similar here too?

D.

Life is short. Enjoy it.

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-27 : 20:43:48
I can't answer your question, but it should probably be posted in in "Site Related Discussions" forum to make sure it gets noticed by the Site Admins.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-27 : 22:22:39
Dinakar,

We've done things a little differently here. If you click the Active Topics list, any topic you've posted in will be listed in bold. We used to have a way to list unanswered questions. I'll see if I can't track that link down again.

What features became available?

-Bill

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

dinakar

2507 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-27 : 22:35:20
Does 'Active Topics' list all my posts along with other active posts or is it JUST the active posts?

At ASP.NET forums we use CSS and the process there is entirely different. (1) We moderate all the posts as in a post sits in a moderation queue and a mdoerator has to validate (for the content) and 'Approve' the post and only then it would show up in the forums (2) All users are 'Moderated' by default as in they cannot edit their posts until a moderator identifies the user as a genuine poster and there is a level of confidence. There's few other features like these. As much as all this keeps the forums clean there are people complaining that their posts dont show up for hours because no moderator was available to approve them. So there are pros and cons. Long story short, I was wondering if its a similar approach here. At least I could edit my post and my posts show up instantly. So I see its 'let the posts go in and we will moderate later' approach here.

Life is short. Enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 07:55:34
Active topics lists all threads that have activity since you were last at the site. Any thread that you've posted in at any time is highlighted in bold. If click the little folder right near the top of the list of topics it will mark all the threads as read.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 09:24:06
there's also a dropdown that will let you choose the lower time threshold for "active topics"

www.elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

dinakar

2507 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 11:36:58
quote:
Originally posted by jezemine

there's also a dropdown that will let you choose the lower time threshold for "active topics"

I saw the dropdown and figured out that I could change the time of refresh but I wasnt sure what constitutes 'Active Posts'. Does it include ALL of my posts + any active or just the active ones. Basically I was trying to find out if there is a 'My Posts' or an equivalent link available to see if replies to my posts were updated so I can follow up. After a few days it gets hard to remember what all posts I replied to.

Life is short. Enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 11:41:45
Active topics is just that. Only active topics. However if there was a reply in a thread you posted in it will highlighed in bold.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

dinakar

2507 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 11:47:39
Ok. so it would include any newer replies to my thread in the list. Sorry if I am being a pain. I am trying to understand the process.

Life is short. Enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 12:37:27
quote:
Originally posted by dinakar

Ok. so it would include any newer replies to my thread in the list. Sorry if I am being a pain. I am trying to understand the process.

Life is short. Enjoy it.

I would say the majority of us just look at active topics

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!
http://www.frappr.com/sqlteam

Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 12:41:57
And for some it is set to "Reload page every minute"

KH

Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 12:45:48
> And for some it is set to "Reload page every minute"

guilty

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 12:54:13
Mine is set to every 2 minutes

KH

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 14:26:46
quote:
Originally posted by graz
We used to have a way to list unanswered questions. I'll see if I can't track that link down again.

here is that link http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/activezero.asp

-ec
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 14:43:24
Heh. I knew that was out there somewhere. I really didn't even know it still worked :)

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-28 : 14:49:19
quote:
Originally posted by graz

Heh. I knew that was out there somewhere. I really didn't even know it still worked :)

btw, the new search rules. I knew I had asked a similar question in the past and that was how I found it.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

maya_zakry
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

379 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-29 : 01:55:16
...and i dont really like the idea we need to wait for approval in order to post question at the asp.net forum.. this will delay any help :P

~~~Focus on problem, not solution~~~
Go to Top of Page

pootle_flump

1064 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-29 : 08:23:22
quote:
Originally posted by dinakar
(1) We moderate all the posts as in a post sits in a moderation queue and a mdoerator has to validate (for the content) and 'Approve' the post and only then it would show up in the forums
[rant]As a sometimes ASP.NET forum user I am afraid I have to describe this as sucky in the extreme. I would certainly never describe it as a feature and the costs IMHO far outweigh the benefits. My experience here and at DBForums (where I am a mod) are that bad apples are typically picked up pretty fast.

Apart from anything else, knowing that my posts on ASP.NET will not appear for several hours has caused me to deal with ASP.NET problems differently to other problem:
ASP.NET
1) Come a cross a problem 2) Spend 15 mins trying to figure out 3) post on forum 4) spend a couple of hours trying to figure it out 5) apologise if I figure it before it appears on the forum
SQL Server
1) Spend hours\ days on a problem 2) post an exhaustive question.
[/rant]
Anyway.... did anyone mentioned that the last 10 or so threads you posted in are displayed on your profile page? That's how I keep track of anything I have posted in.

HTH
Go to Top of Page

dinakar

2507 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-29 : 12:52:44
Yep we do have people complaining about all the restrictions. Check this interesting thread : http://forums.asp.net/thread/1639528.aspx

Life is short. Enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

pootle_flump

1064 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-30 : 03:38:47
Ta. Bit wordy though - didn't read it all lol.

There is a serious side though - if I knew another ASP.NET site where postings were immediate and all other things being equal (experts-exchange for example is hopeless) I would be off like a shot. The advertisers might not be too keen to know that.

But anyway I only have a handful of posts on there and can hardly be considered a valuable contributer.
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-30 : 04:32:05
> (experts-exchange for example is hopeless)

maybe because you are reading it wrong.
It's Expert-Sex-Change

Next Page

- Advertisement -