Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 hi resolution laptop recomendations

Author  Topic 

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2006-11-24 : 23:32:00
I tried but I just can't work well at 1200X800 (WXGA)
Last years toshiba satellite pro is fine otherwise,
stock speed 1.6Mhz
with .5 + 1 gig aftermarket memory

I like everything fine but I can't do serious work on it because of the resolution.

I started life as a CAD designer and we always had the biggest and best monitors, In fact I used to run three 21 inch trinitons (radiation burn) 2 split as as single output to make up one dual monitor install. That 'tude' carries thru till today and 1600X1200 is the minimum required. Even old Thinkpads did that great but I need to find a laptop that isn't in that third level of price target audience.

"it's definitely useless and maybe harmful".

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-11-25 : 03:20:46
So, you're looking for a laptop with two fold-out wing-monitors? !!

I'd like one too please!

My solution has been to plug in a second monitor (rather than using plug-in-monitor as a bigger replacement for the main screen). Not on the train, of course!, but wherever I find a desk with a monitor on it.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2006-11-25 : 07:01:42
I got a Dell Latitude D820 a few months ago, it's been great. I didn't go for the highest resolution, my eyes wouldn't forgive me, but the middle one 1680 x 1050 is pretty good. The display is nice, and the dual core CPU and the 2GB of RAM in it makes it a great machine.

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-11-25 : 15:47:42
I got a thinkpad t60p. the thing rocks, especially w/built in EVDO.

1600x1200, not a widescreen. 2 gigs RAM and dual-core. You'll pay a little extra for the thinkpad, but I think they are worth it.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2006-11-27 : 10:05:25
Thanks for the recommendations, purchase averted though. Got a call from grandpa that his laptop was broke, it's an old Thinkpad A21P that I salvaged for him. Well,
I wasn't about to rebuild it again, so I was gonna upgrade myself (to correct my present dissatisfaction) and pass on my current one to him. Turned out it was a false alarm. So I bought some time and will continue to be a WXGA hater for a little while longer. Good to know the recommendations. It's painfully obvious now that I should have gotten a thinkpad or a Lattitude last year. I was too cheap, and too optimistic on my ability to adapt. Lesson learned.

"it's definitely useless and maybe harmful".
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -