Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 to leave... or not to leave

Author  Topic 

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-09 : 17:08:06
So, Im happy with my job... for the most part.

Things are a little slow moving, and I will not be seeing SQL 2K5 for a long time if I stay here. I dont see a lot of room for growth here, career-wise, but I enjoy working with this team, the schedule is super flexible, and the projects are challenging. Ive only been working with my current company for 8 mos.

Now, the market is picking up and Ive been receiving various invites for interviews from friends in the industry. I have not been actively looking for a job, though I attended one interview that I thought looked interesting and promptly received an offer. Its about 10% increase in pay, offers stock options, all new development in 2K5, and is a much smaller company.

Is 8 mos too short a time to think of leaving... especially since Im not even slightly unhappy here? Should I be concerned that Im not getting the 2K5 exposure?

Any input is greatly appreciated, as always.

- N

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-09 : 17:33:26
I wouldn't worry about how long you have been working there. People come and go all the time. So do companies. It only looks bad if you change jobs every 6 months for several years running.

The question you have to answer is which place you would rather work and which best meets you long and short term goals.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-09 : 19:18:10
if new and old are preety much the same people and money wise, go where you'll learn the most.

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Blog thingie: [URL="http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp"]
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-09 : 21:39:18
what is your long term goal, which choice will bring you closer in reaching it?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 03:53:16
If you have a concrete offer on the table then you could always see if your current employer could go some way to matching it... maybe let you do some dev work on 2005, since that seems to be a big point of interest to you. Of course, they might say no..

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 15:56:58
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

>> go where you'll learn the most
That's the main reason I am pondering this. My current organization develops software for Government use, and is very slow to adopt new technologies. SQL 2K5 is a long way from approval and Im afraid I will fall behind if I wait until 2007/08 to truly begin working with the new tools. The new company definitely offers more opportunity for education and exposure to SQL2005.

>> Personal Goals?
Id like to continue building my development skillset (and sqlteam yak rating). I dont have much interest leaving development to pursue a Project Management track or otherwise, Id rather get into a technical lead / architect position a few years down the road. Im anxious to get going on 2005 and Ive been working with it in my spare time, but you really dont get the same level of experience until you have to work with the tools everyday.

How do you guys feel about working for companies that are funded via venture capital? I imagine start-ups can be fun and exciting or can be insane train wrecks. The new company is a start-up with lots of capital. It has some incoming cash flow but is mostly supported through capital and the hopes of this new product (the team I would be joining).

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 17:12:57
quote:
Originally posted by nathans
...How do you guys feel about working for companies that are funded via venture capital? ...

It can be exciting, but keep an eye on how they are doing. Make sure you are saving some money to tide you over if things go bad.

I worked in a similar situation, and everything was good until one day when the phones stopped working and they announced that they wouldn't be able to pay us anymore. Of course, that can happen to any company, but when the only source of money is VC cash there is more risk.

I’m no trying to scare you away from it. I’m just saying to keep your eyes open to how the company is doing, and to give some thought to what you will do it doesn’t work out. If you have a lot of expenses, big family to support, etc. it may not be a good job for you.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-11 : 10:18:00
It's very funny that you don't anything about salary upgrade...

go for the cash, man, or don't go

You can always learn sql server 2.5k on your own...what's the big deal...do some cheap consulting at night to learn AND get paid...

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!
http://www.frappr.com/sqlteam
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -