Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Addictive New Game - Homeworking

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 08:48:26
Unbefuckinglievable

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65438

Score ten points for each of:

"Please"
"Thank You"
"This is my homework, I don't know where to start"
"I made a really good stab at it, and this is what I came up with, but I'm stuck on ..."

and one point for:

"Some sucker will do it for me"

My high-score is 1

Kristen

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 09:03:31
That was a good one wasn't it. I'm all for helping people out, but only they put some effort into trying to understand the problem. That was a straight copy n paste.

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

blindman
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 09:25:59
Wow.

It sure is homework season. We're getting a lot of it on dbforums as well.
Go to Top of Page

twhelan1
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 09:32:13
It's getting near the end of the semester when students have:
a) been busted for cheating already and now must become more resourceful
b) the guy they normally copy off of dropped out
c) what's a database? Oh no! Final exams are only a week away!

~Travis
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 09:33:45
the guy they normally copy off of dropped out

the guy they normally copy off of graduated
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 10:01:42
the guy they normally copy off of dropped out

the guy they normally copy off of graduated

the guy they normally copy off of just put up a business doing homeworks for cash

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 10:10:42
Graz: We need an auction on here please ....

.... http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=homework

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-02 : 10:43:02
Lazy Bastards.......Woops can I say that here?
Guess I already did.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

chiragkhabaria

1907 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 02:45:31
This is still much better, one of my friend doing MS, send me its whole assignement document.. and gave me all the ball talks to conveince that there can be no best programmer then me..

Now what should i do ??

If Debugging is the process of removing Bugs then i Guess programming should be process of Adding them.
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 03:06:30
if he/she is really a friend, teach him/her instead of giving the answer straight away

MS is masters in science, post-graduate studies right? and the friend is asking you to do the entire homework?? so age isn't a factor then...hmm...

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 03:35:50
simply tell him no.
if he can't accept that, then he's not really a friend

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Blog thingie: [URL="http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp"]
Go to Top of Page

chiragkhabaria

1907 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 03:52:40
quote:

if he/she is really a friend, teach him/her instead of giving the answer straight away

MS is masters in science, post-graduate studies right? and the friend is asking you to do the entire homework?? so age isn't a factor then...hmm...

He is not intrested in Software development, wants to make career in Networks.. so states that its useless to him..

quote:

simply tell him no.
if he can't accept that, then he's not really a friend

Good Idea

If Debugging is the process of removing Bugs then i Guess programming should be process of Adding them.
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 06:44:11
quote:
Originally posted by chiragkhabaria

and gave me all the ball talks

Ball talks ?

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

chiragkhabaria

1907 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 07:05:10
quote:
Originally posted by Merkin

quote:
Originally posted by chiragkhabaria

and gave me all the ball talks

Ball talks ?

Fake talks to convience me for doing his assignment.. (Mangement Tricks )

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 08:02:16
Here's some more:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65503
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 09:40:39
Well, I was happy to help him out!
Go to Top of Page

twhelan1
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 10:27:26
When I taught an undergrad programming course, it seemed like cheating was rampant, and some students did almost in your face. I remember one kid who asked me for help with his assignment. I started looking at his code and couldn't make sense of it. When I asked him to explain what he was doing, he couldn't.

Then he said "hang on, let me pull the original out of my email, this is the one I've been making changes to..." Opened his email (with me, his teacher, standing over his shoulder) and pulled his assignment out of an email attachment! I asked him if he wrote any of that code, and he got very defensive and said he had just asked for help and that I wouldn't understand his code because it was Indian style programming then refused help. (Indian or not, a loop is a loop and an if is an if and bad code is bad code!) Needless to say, he received an F.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Mike Zintel of Microsoft: "I have a theory that everyone gets into software to write video games or build robots. Many discover that it's hard, they don't "got it", most of the paying jobs are for accounts payable systems and that rent costs money." Along those lines, the people who get into a computer science related field fall into two categories, those who get it and those who think they can make a lot of money doing it. The ones who are in it for the money figure out early on that it's hard and they don't get it, but there are plenty of smart people in the world who do and are willing to share/help/publish. I know people who've built careers on not getting it, we call them IT Directors where I come from...

~Travis
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 10:53:08
quote:
Originally posted by twhelan1

I know people who've built careers on not getting it, we call them IT Directors where I come from...
I have a theory that development team members who have insufficient technical skill are put in the role of prject managers, because everybody else is need to do actual work. These project managers eventually work their way up the ladder because "they have project management experience".
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 11:13:10
At the end of my second year at Collage while volunteering as a lab helper I had a guy ask me to copy all my labs for the semester and then asked to let him see my exam at the end of the week.(more like demanded).
Of course I refused but I did tell him I would stay and help him catch up. Turns out he had not done any labs and had rarely shown up for lectures. At this point I told him he should anticipate re-taking the course. The guy starts screaming at me calling me a raciest and every other thing in the book. Two days later him and a couple of his buddies corner me in the Jon and tried to beat me up. After kicking their collective @$$ I found out that the 3 of them were on a federal grant that was being pulled because of grades. These three had a fee ride a paid (nice) apartment and expenses because their families were on welfare.
These idiots threw it all away because they were to busy to maintain a 1.5 GPA (Yes folks they only needed a 1.5) Meanwhile I worked nights in the steel mill and got about 4 hours sleep so I could go to school. Where is the justice?

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

twhelan1
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-03 : 11:34:53
quote:
Originally posted by blindman
I have a theory that development team members who have insufficient technical skill are put in the role of prject managers

We were talking along those same lines around the office the other day. The truly great programmers rarely ever become anything more than lead programmer, because they're too valuable to be moved off to management, while the truly lousy ones become project managers where they can do less damage.

*Note I mostly do project management these days, but I was hired for it rather than promoted to it.

~Travis
Go to Top of Page

TimS
Posting Yak Master

198 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-11 : 11:52:03
I just asked my Project Manager for a list of requirements on the Phase 2 of a project I am working on.

I about lost it yesterday, when he started to give me some requirements on part of Phase 1 that I had to code with no requirements before I coded the SQL. Now, I am not doing any work while I wait for requirements on Phase 2.

He just does not get the idea that it is: (Requirements First!!)
1. Requirements
2. High level Design
3. Detail design/Implementation
4. Testing

Tim S

Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -