Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Quick question quick answer?

Author  Topic 

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 10:57:22
I need a very rough ball park estimate guess for a 2 node SAN, just a very rough idea will be fine, nothing specific.

many thanks

steve

-----------

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 11:11:04
1) Good to see you spending my taxes on a right-size solution
2) Pity about the accuracy of your budgeting process!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 11:22:36
quote:
Originally posted by elwoos

I need a very rough ball park estimate guess for a 2 node SAN, just a very rough idea will be fine, nothing specific.

many thanks

steve

-----------

Dell resells EMC SAN equipment, so you should be able to get a quick idea from their web site about available configurations and costs.

Their web site usually gives a good idea about cost, but when you get a actual quote from them, the price is usually lower. I am assuming that Dell sells SANs in UK, but I don't know for sure. I don't think Dell resells the very high-end EMC equipement, but it doesn't sound like you are looking for that.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 11:23:18
LOL, unfortunately this isn't for me. It's just so I can get an idea of how much was spent when one was purchased that MAY not otherwise have been was urgently required.

Someone give me a figure please

-----------

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 11:39:14
That will be perfect, many thanks Michael

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 12:18:45
"... urgently required"

Mum's the word mate!
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 12:22:22
How do you delete this thread from Google?

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 12:27:41
quote:
Originally posted by elwoos
...It's just so I can get an idea of how much was spent when one was purchased that MAY not otherwise have been was urgently required...

Sounds like political games are afoot.

Good luck, I know how much you enjoy this.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 13:52:10
Well, if you make it a DAS (Direct Attached Storage) instead of a SAN (Storage Area Network), you can save about $20k easily.

A SAN implies that there are Fibre Channel switches between you servers and your disk array. If you have your servers plugged into your storage array directly, you can save the cost of the two fibre channel switches you need, which generally run about $10k each.

You need two servers, with two HBA (host bus adapters, how they talk to the storage) and then you need a "small" fibre channel disk array.

The disk array can be had for around $30k depending on the amount and size of disks.

Two servers that are at least dual CPU,have a reasonable amount of RAM, a RAID 1 array for the OS, and redundant power supplies will probably run you about $5-10k each depending on exactly what you get.

Your (4) HBA's (two in each server) may be included in the cost of the $30k disk array, but if not they are about $1000 each.

So, you can probably get it done for about $40-50k US dollars.

Then you need your software. I'm not sure how much that stuff costs these days, but you'll need Windows 2003 that can support clustering, and SQL Server EE to support clustering. I don't think SQL Server Std supports clustering.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will. Cursors, path to the Dark Side they are. Avoid them, you must. Use Order By NewID() to get a random record you will.</Yoda>

Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily those of TeleVox Software, inc. All information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-26 : 03:27:54
That's fantastic - many thanks guys.

Michael you're absolutely right I love office politics. JS Mill believed that if you were right you could convince anyone else. Sadly he was an optimist!

cheers

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -