Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Microsoft on-hold music

Author  Topic 

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-24 : 14:22:15
the microsoft on-hold music is just killing me...

-ec

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-24 : 14:42:35
Maybe they need musical selections:
“Press 1 for pop music, 2 for rap, 3 for heavy metal, 4 for classic rock, 5 for oldies, 6 for classical, 7 for country and western, press 8 to select by artist, 9 for a random selection, or press 0 to speak to a DJ.”

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-24 : 15:35:38
Is that like if MS take over the 911 emergency service:

"Press 1 for a knife wound, 2 for a gunshot wound ..."

"the microsoft on-hold music is just killing me..."

You're looking for sympathy for being a SQL2k5 early adopter?

elwoos: tell him how it is, OK?!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-24 : 21:43:17
rotfl, that's just mean Kristen

we should be thankful that ec is thoroughly testing it out for us eh?

I've been following his and sam's thread on their adventure towards full sql2005 implementation,and the stuff they post are pretty scary, then comes out sp1 and warning bells started whistling in other forums as well

btw, just got off the hook on migration/upgrading, still without a doubt, honesty is the best policy

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 01:37:38
I'm sat right on the fence Jen. I haven't looked at SQL2k5 yet. If I had a Big Scary Moment with it I just don't where I would turn (I see the Big Scary Ones here going unanswered), and how I would solve it quickly for my clients.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 04:03:12
quote:
elwoos: tell him how it is, OK?!

We are still considering a move to 2000 I think we are waiting for SP 4 first - OOOH it's out. So tell me about all those juicy new features then - indexed views and all that

steve

-----------

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-25 : 04:48:53
"waiting for SP 4"

We haven't installed SP4 because of the worry over queries with JOINs between non-exactly matched datatypes. But that's basically a QA/testing issue, so if you are migrating anyway they'll come to light, and be fixed, as part of your rollout.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Ledell
SQL NASCAR Parsing Chick

107 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-26 : 13:47:06
quote:
Originally posted by jen

I've been following his and sam's thread on their adventure towards full sql2005 implementation,and the stuff they post are pretty scary, then comes out sp1 and warning bells started whistling in other forums as well.

Are concerns with SQL5k more with migration then with straight install? Is there anything in particular that stands out as being not quite right with SQL5k?

Got some code from Rob. Can anyone help?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-26 : 16:04:48
"Is there anything in particular that stands out as being not quite right with SQL5k?"

For me the only issue is the lack of available experience (e.g. here on SQL Team) to help me if I hit some major, time-critical, rock. I see some difficult, time-critical, questions here going unanswered. That's pretty rare for tricky SQL2000 questions.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Ledell
SQL NASCAR Parsing Chick

107 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-26 : 16:15:54
Ok. Thanks. I am going to just dive right in.

Robvolk will be so proud! Maybe even Mfemenella, too?

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-26 : 18:30:19
quote:
Are concerns with SQL5k more with migration then with straight install? Is there anything in particular that stands out as being not quite right with SQL5k?
My biggest concern about SQL5K is that it won't be available for another 3,000 years. Somehow I think I won't be too interested in it by then.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-26 : 18:36:33
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

quote:
My biggest concern about SQL5K is that it won't be available for another 3,000 years. Somehow I think I won't be too interested in it by then.

I think there's a pre-beta release of SQL 5000 available for you early adopters.

A lot of people suspect they won't make the target March 5000 release date though.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-26 : 21:15:07
no problems encountered for:
straight installation, no security tightening, no instances just default, everything installed using default settings (well probably location of the other services doesn't really have an impact)

so when you start tightening, doing measures, tweaking, it seems (atleast for my case) everything falls apart

we assume that we will be able to handle sql2k5 similarly to sql2k, but apparently they behave differently at a certain level which leaves you wondering, is it really worth it to migrate at this point in time?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-27 : 01:47:24
"is it really worth it to migrate at this point in time?"

If SQL2k5 had a killer feature I needed then it would just be a "cost-benefit" equation.

A DATE datatype would have been good <g>

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Ledell
SQL NASCAR Parsing Chick

107 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-27 : 11:06:23
quote:
Originally posted by jen

no problems encountered for:
straight installation, no security tightening, no instances just default, everything installed using default settings ... when you start tightening, doing measures, tweaking, it seems everything falls apart

Are you saying, it's okay as long as you don't tweek it? If that's the case, are there critical tweeks that need to be done, that can not be done?

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I am developing a web application and thought the built in web tools would be helpful. I haven't uninstalled SQL2K yet. Would it be better to go back to that and use something else for the web tools?

Go to Top of Page

Ledell
SQL NASCAR Parsing Chick

107 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-27 : 11:13:12
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones
I think there's a pre-beta release of SQL 5000 available for you early adopters. A lot of people suspect they won't make the target March 5000 release date though.

Actually, it's only by starting work on it now, that they might actually be able to hit their deadline.

Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-28 : 01:15:14
apparently, it seems that way...

i'm still a newbie on this 2005 so probably i'm doing it all wrong, but this is now my 4th install (which happens to be ok, coz i'm not customizing it yet, all default parameters)?

i did try to install on another instance then change the service accounts and port numbers,went into sql server and applied some restrictions on accounts already present, but failed after a couple of days (3rd install)

i'm now trying to get deeper into dts and replication but get inconsistent result (i tried it now and everything seems to be ok)...
clustering is off limits for now, atleast for me, check EC's other post

development wise, i think it's ok coz i believe sqlteam is on 2005 already and the other guys are using it, it's the admin side that's really bothersome

my suggestion is to work on a technology you are most confident with and will be able to support if things happen and get escalated to you, otherwise you'll need a lot of resources within reach

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-28 : 04:13:23
Jen you have the two best resources at your finger tips, BOL and SQLTeam

steve

-----------

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-28 : 04:19:45
sorry to mean it that way

with bol, yes, for development, but there are things that only experience can teach you in terms of administration and making sure that server is always available

like now, by reading the yukon section everyday, i get to learn something new and actually avoid some known issues which they already escalated to PSS

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-28 : 05:40:05
"by reading the yukon section everyday"

I've had a look at Page 2 (i.e. had a bit of time to be resolved by now!) of the SQL 2005/Yukon forum. Leaving aside things that are not explicitly SQL2k5 issues, syntax error questions, and answers given where the author did not report back success/failure I'm left with:

Pls note that my categories are entirely subjective and MOO - but that's life!

Not resolved

changing instance name
SQL Server 05 64-bit and 32-bit ODBC for Sybase
MS SQL Server Excel Driver Exception
SSIS
After install SQL 2005, EM still there

Scary moment! (resolved itself, but general knowledge was not available)

SP1 Installation "warning"? message

Half baked (Resolved, or may be resolved, but large hole other people will fall into)

SSIS launched from a job
SMSS Open .sql file

Gotcha! (Non intuitive or result did not seem to be how user(s) felt 2005 feature was intended to work)

Partitioned Indexes and Tables
SQL2K5 cluster installation first impressions
Seeking Upgrade Advice
ManagementStudio numeric formatting

Not clear if resolved

Attaching SQL Server Express Databases

Resolved

This section intentionally left blank!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)