Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Resumes...

Author  Topic 

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 15:12:29
It's been a while since I created a resume...

So my question is...I've been in the industry for 5 years, Im 26 and finished college at 21...

I want to create and maintain this resume so I have some questions:

Should the format be more of a chronological resume or a skills resume?

Online there are millions of examples ... but most are cheap looking...so if anyone has samples or even their own resume that they could share (hope that isn't asking for to much) it is greatly appreciated.

I'm not the best writer but I can usually get my point across, I just figure I want to make it look the best I can. I know many of you just reading your posts have a way with words :).

Thanks,
Jon

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 15:50:28
find a book called "Ace the IT Resume". As I recall, it had some good examples to use.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 15:53:01
I've had good success with my resume which I'll forward to your email when I get home tonight (if you want). Have an MS Word version with nice formatting, bullets etc. Also have a text version that can be cut and pasted nicely.

I combined the skills approach with the chronological. I have a bulleted skills page and an employment history page with brief job description for each entry.

But here are a few musts IMHO:

1. The whole purpose of a resume is to get a phone call or an invitation for an interview.
Make darn sure there are no typos. Use spell check, use a couple people to proof read. Many hiring managers elliminate candidates for that. Keep it to no more than 2 pages plus cover sheet. At least not much more than that anyway.

2. The whole purpose of a resume is to get a phone call or an invitation for an interview.
keep it general, use a lot of industry standard terms/buzz-words. Use language you see in job postings that think sounds good. Don't lie but a little exageration is ok if you're prepared to talk about anything you put down. I don't find it easy to talk myself up so if you're like me, a resume is one place you need to make an exception.

3. The whole purpose of a resume is to get a phone call or an invitation for an interview.
Definately don't "exagerate" on anything that can be checked out, like credentials, certifications, education, etc.

If you're interested in 2 different types of positions, like say a C# developer and a database developer, I'd have 2 different resumes each showing one or the other as your primary skill.

Interviewing techniques is a whole other topic but remember,
The whole purpose of a resume is to get a phone call or an invitation for an interview.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 16:01:02
That is so wonderful if you do forward me it I would love to get a peek. Just need something to look at to get some ideas.

TG :) if you do forward it the email is jhermiz@comcast.net (home email). I would take any example, the job is actually a teaching job in web development but relates to programming of course.

Any samples much appreciated.

Eye chart I dont have time for books right now!!!

Thanks,
Jon

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 16:02:37
the book just has hundreds of sample resumes and cover letters for just about every type of IT career. It would be worth finding IMHO.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 16:06:10
Regarding the order I was more on the grounds of...should i list schooling first or work experience...

Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 16:16:56
you're going to teach???
for heaven's sake... don't!... please.

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 16:24:05
Include a section where you state why you are interested in the particular job you are applying to.
Not just sending a copy of your standard resume.

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 16:25:22
1. Section 1, your personal Info

2. Section 2, What you know, in Bullets

3. Job History, no more than 15 years

4. Education

5. Hobbies, Volunteer stuff, etc

2 Pages, no more, no less

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!
http://www.frappr.com/sqlteam
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 16:35:56
quote:
Originally posted by X002548

1. Section 1, your personal Info

2. Section 2, What you know, in Bullets

3. Job History, no more than 15 years

4. Education

2 Pages, no more, no less

Brett

8-)

Add yourself!

Thanks Brett

Jon

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 19:29:17
quote:
Originally posted by X002548

That made me laugh a little. I would recommend that you not put things like hobbies or volunteer work or other items not related to the job on your resume. A hiring manager will not care that you like to water ski or have volunteered for the special olympics. It may come off looking like unnecesary filler in your resume.

Having that stuff on your resume is not going to get you the interview - which is all the resume is designed to do.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-13 : 21:22:47
I know your questions are mostly about form, length, etc., but I thought you might like to hear what I look for when I look through a stack of resumes.

There are things that you should make sure that your resume does not have. Briefly, anything that gives the person reading your resume a reason to put it in the “Not Interested” pile.

I may get a stack of 50 to 100, so the first thing I do is go through them quickly to reject the ones that are obviously not of interest. Lack of experience, lack of education, poor spelling, and poor grammar are the things that land about 80% of the resumes in the “Not Interested” pile on the first cut. You may not be able to do anything in the short term about the first two, but you have all the time you need to make sure spelling and grammar are correct. This also applies to any cover letter I receive. I always read these, because I know from experience that a resume may be written by a professional, but the cover letter is usually written by the applicant.

There are other things that may land a resume in the “Not Interested” pile on the first cut. Fifteen jobs in four years may have been fun, but doesn’t draw my interest. A negative comment about co-workers, supervisors, or clients says “disgruntled trouble maker”. Your resume is no place for your political or religious views; I’m not looking for a acolyte or storm trooper. Just make sure it’s all business.

That leaves me with 10 to 15 resumes, so then I look for 2 or 3 that I would like to bring in for an interview. This is where your resume becomes a sales tool. What I need to see are reasons to say "Yes"; basically things that tell me that you are going to be someone I will be happy I hired. I want to see things that tell me I can give you something to do, it will get done better than I hoped, and I won’t have to worry about it. Things that tell me you are going to get even better, and make people around you better. Things that tell me you are going to make me look good to my boss.

The items on your resume need to sell you, so make it easy to read, brief, and to the point. It is also a tool to show your outstanding ability to communicate. Examples:

“Managed a team of 9 DBAs supporting 52 production database servers with over 110 terabytes of data, running mission critical, revenue generating, 24x7 applications with over 63,000 users at 312 locations in North America, Europe, and Asia.” Translation: I take care of really important stuff, and make sure other people take care of it, so you won’t have to worry about it.

“Designed, developed, installed, and supported a data mart that was the core of the company’s flagship software application.” Translation: When you need something really important developed that can make or break your company, I’m the guy.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 02:16:02
"I dont have time for books right now!!!". Translation : I'll scour the net for just enough info to get something that works, but I won't understand it later

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 08:03:49
quote:
Hobbies, Volunteer stuff, etc

I'd agree with Brett on this, though I think it should be only a couple of lines. It tends to show you're a more rounded person IMHO though I suppose there is a danger that you could look like some sort of nerd if you have something like coffee bean collector in there

steve

-----------

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 08:30:00
And under education don't put "Eton and Balliol", even if its true, 'coz they count as a Negative Score here!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 10:24:34
I think the only reason to put hobbies, volunteer stuff, etc is if you don't have enough valid things to fill a page.

Oh, and I'll share a lesson learned: Don't congratulate the boss for hiring a receptionist with such an outstanding rack...especially when it turns out it's his daughter.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 10:43:40
well if you saw "the rack" very up close then it's worth it

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 11:10:05
"Did I see your Receptionist / Daughter on www.rate-my-rack.org last week" should be a good opener for the interview!
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 11:14:20
leave it to you Kristen to find that...

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 11:14:54
It came to me in a flash ...
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-14 : 12:31:45
All I'm talking about is 1 or 2 sentences....tops...Just don't put down, like to make and consume Margarita's

Brett

8-)

Add yourself!
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -