Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Mags

Author  Topic 

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 04:01:10
Does anyone subscribe to SQL Server Magazine (or any others) and if so what do you think of them - are they a worthwhile investment or do they just get covered in coffee stains?

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 04:17:29
I get MSDN magazine mailed to me, most of the solutions in there just seem stupid ("use infopath to send xml via a webservice to biztalk to send an email that syncs with your pda" sorta crap). I don't spend a lot of time reading it

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 05:40:37
we are subscribed to MSDN also. i like it.
like every other magazine it has some useful and some less usefull stuff...
all in all i find it an interesting reading when riding on a train or sitting on a toilet.

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 07:43:25
The 3 or 4 times I've read SQL Server Magazine, I found 1 article (maybe) that made me say "Wow!" and then I found the same technique described elsewhere within a month or less (and free). And I agree with Damian (especially about MSDN mag), a lot of things that get published in magazines are what CAN be done, not what SHOULD be done.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 09:11:17
I don't take any dead-tree magazines any more. Well, not computing ones anyway!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Xerxes
Aged Yak Warrior

666 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 12:11:51
I get them online like this:

http://lists.sqlmag.com/t?ctl=FB79:9360D

Semper fi,
XERXES, USMC(Ret.)
------------------------------------------------------
The Marine Corps taught me everything but SQL!
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 12:19:27
Are there no adverts? Otherwise why would it be the same price as a paper subscription when there are no printing costs? (Just curious, I don't take any on-line subscription Mags either)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 13:32:31
Interestingly, it's only the US and Canadian prices that are the same. The UK and "All other countries" get a discount for digital.

I would guess the argument is that you're paying for the quality of the articles, not the paper it's printed on. Not saying I agree with that philosophy, but it could be one argument.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 13:36:09
As for the original question, I was recently thinking about subscribing to SQL Server Magazine, but find that I'm so busy doing other stuff that I probably wouldn't get around to reading it (I drive to work, so reading it during commute time is not recommended. ). I have a stack of books I'm much more interested in reading when I make time to do that, anyway.

So far, I have found just about everything I need right here and in a very timely manner, too!

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 13:38:46
I've got a year free subscription to SQL Server mag. I've got 5 copies of it sitting on my desk, not a single one has even been opened. I have read some older ones though. Occasionally, you'll find a gem in there.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 16:43:37
I get wired, SKI, SKIING, Rolling Stone, plus a bunch of women's mag's my wife ordered...guess no more cosmo or playboy....

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Xerxes
Aged Yak Warrior

666 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-31 : 14:25:14
I get Chess Life, Leatherneck, Decision, Subversive Beekeeper, and Woodworker Over 40.

Semper fi,
XERXES, USMC(Ret.)
------------------------------------------------------
The Marine Corps taught me everything but SQL!
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-31 : 16:29:39
American Heritage of Invention and Technology
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-01 : 00:45:54
New Scientist and Astronomy Now. That's it for paper ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -