Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Machine Aided Indexing

Author  Topic 

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 15:44:07
If you know anything about a good machine aided indexing system I am looking for something like that as well.

The one thing we evaluated only matched up at 30% with our data entry people. I am not even sure how to interpert those results. Seems so subjective.

====================================================
Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 03:27:25
Please excuse my ignorance but what is machine aided indexing?

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 03:39:47
Would some sort of document management system do?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 09:17:31
I am not sure if document management as I understand it would do. What we do now, is that we have subject matter experts using controlled vocabularies combing through volumes of material applying certain phrases and words to certain pages and documents.

So it is not really key word or full text indexing. It is kind of semantic in nature. We have examined one product that can handle this. Still looking at the results.

Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 09:43:09
Ah ... more sort of Google than Document Mangement!!

I can't begin to imagine how you solve that problem autoMagically.

"This product does NOT work with ABC123"

Search on ABC123 .... shouldn't find this one ... but ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 09:50:30
Yeah but we are dealing with less data. Academic databases and the search results are more dead on because our controls are very tight and our links are verified. The whole thing is very expensive but somehow we maintain a profit.

Anything machine aided is going to have too many rules in my opinion but we are looking at it anyways. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Sean Roussy

Thank you, drive through
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 09:55:08
Long ago a client had a system for keywording that I quite liked the look of - dunno if its applicable.

Basically for each new "description" it "split" the words out and checked them against its own dictionary.

It threw away the noise words, converted known-words via an "alias" table (so "Cars" became "Car" and so on), and then offered the cleaned-up known-words for any rogues to be explicitly excluded for this instance.

Separately it offered any "new" words for consideration of adding to the Dictionary (including checking if they were aliases of existing words).

All seems a bit straight forward to me, so I expect you are already way ahead of something that simple.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 10:08:32
hmm... seems that this is something a well trained neural network might do...

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -