Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Evaluation period expired and need to get at datab

Author  Topic 

nicki_assumption
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 12:21:18
Hi- I let my sql server evaluation expire and I have no access to the database now. Is there anyway I can create a new server on my old sql server 7 software and import the data? I have stored procedures that I really need to access. I see where the data files are but is there a way to get them opened by SQL Server 7 when I created it all in the latest version?
Thanks
Nicki

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 12:41:44
Well I guess you're now seeing the folly of creating something that you "need" on an evaluation version of software. And your situation also highlights yet another benefit to using script files to create your procedures. If you had, then you would still have all the code for your stored procedure that you are now trying to recover.

OK, with that speech aside, the bad news is that, I think you are out of luck. SQL Server 7 is not "forward compatible" in that it can connect to SQL 2000 databases. The Query Analyzer client tool that came with SQL 7 can connect to SQL 2000 databases/servers and issue commands, but the Enterprise Manager cannot, and you cannot just attach a SQL 2000 database to a SQL 7 server. Sorry!

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

nicki_assumption
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 12:51:34
Isn't software supposed to issue you a warning when it is about to expire? I had to go digging through log files to find it.

The real lesson here is not to use proprietary software. I've never not had the option of getting a license. But I do appreciate your lecture- it is definitely true but I'm open source- we're not used to these things.

Now - I still have the files on my file system. How is that I can't create a copy and reinstall the software?

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 16:31:47
Sure, it'd be nice if evaluation software gave you some sort of a countdown of days remaining, but that's a little harder to do when you're talking about a service than when you're talking about a desktop application.

Personally I don't think your issue has anything to do with it being proprietary software. That's just your personal bias showing through. You imply that you couldn't get a license. I don't know where you get that idea. I have licenses for my SQL Servers, both Standard and Developer Editions. Perhaps what you really wanted was MSDE (renamed to SQL Express for 2005) which is a free and distributable version of SQL Server.

I never said that you can't create a copy and reinstall the software. Is that something that you have tried? I would not be surprised if Microsoft puts in the registry or somewhere the fact that you have already used the evaluation copy past its deadline and it would not honor your desire to bypass their purchasing requirements by just reinstalling the evaluation version over and over. As you said, it's not open source. It's not free. You had the time to evaluate. Now it's time to decide. Buy or Delete.

And your database files which are still on your computer are probably usable in a SQL Server 2000 server. But your question was how to take files from a SQL 2000 version and use them on a SQL 7.0 server. It doesn't work that way. That's like me complaining that I can't use my old Word 5.0 for DOS program to open my documents that I created in Word 2003.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-16 : 16:35:24
Why aren't you using MySql instead if open source is what you want?

If you spend 49 bucks, you can get the developer edition of SQL Server 2000. It used to cost 500, but they marked it way down to encourage developers to use this product. Developer Edition is pretty much Enterprise Edition, it's just that you can only use it for development purposes.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

nicki_assumption
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 12:12:15
yes- i would use mysql, i typically do but this was for development
purposes. my client has in fact bought a license. i would love the 50
dollar version. unfortunately i have now deleted registry entries and
made a copy in hopes of re installing it and tricking it into letting
me access the files. to no avail i might add. but for my personal
projects, i would always use mysql or another open source db.

i do like the software- i had no idea it would run out though without
telling me. with all the clever developers at microsoft, i can't imagine no
one has time to figure that out. it's not very encouraging that someone
can't restore their database from the files.
And AjarnMark- sorry if it appeared that i was disguising my opinion as objective truth, it is only my opinion that they should issue a warning and allow you to purchase then.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 12:23:03
You can retore their database from the files though! You need a working version of SQL Server 2000 in order to do it.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

nicki_assumption
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 13:52:04
I have that. I just hosed the registry stuff, uninstalled and reinstalled. I'm not sure what to do next though. I can register a new server but how do I get it to see those files?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 13:54:57
In Enterprise Manager, navigate to your server, then to Databases. Right click on databases, all tasks..attach database. Navigate to the MDF file that you want to "restore". Change any other information that you'd like, then click Ok. You should have access to your database now.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

nicki_assumption
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-17 : 16:35:40
Brilliant. Tara- thanks a million. You're a savior. Worked like a charm.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -