Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Visting Boston

Author  Topic 

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-02 : 14:48:07
Im going to be spending a few days out in Boston and am curious where to visit. I dont want to waste my days inline with other tourons and would rather not visit the various tourist-ish destinations.

Any advice on where I can drink a few pints with some locals, etc?

Thanks guys,

Nathan Skerl

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-02 : 16:36:11
Just a few. What sorts of places did you have in mind, or rather what sorts of locals did you want to see?

Brett would probably encourage the Cask and Flagon (which is google-able), which is a sports bar right next to the local ballpark.

Davis Square in Somerville is well enough off the beaten path, and has a fair variety of places that you should be able to find almost any kind of bar you need there. It's even on the Red line, so no car will be no problem.

As for where to go when the bars are closed (it's a puritan thing), you will have to tell me what you might be interested in as far as museums, parks, and the like.
Go to Top of Page

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-02 : 17:43:48
Hey thanks! I am totally open to any suggestions. If you guys have any ideas of a place worth visiting please suggest it. I am without a local guide so as of now I will just be walking around aimlessly.

I will be in town 8/11 - 8/16 if you know of any events.

I will be visiting Cape Cod as well for a wedding, but will be flying into/out of Boston.

Nathan Skerl
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-02 : 22:18:04
i'll be in boston on 8/14-820... going to a developMentor (www.develop.com) training for ASP.NET

like 60hrs of class time though...

Corey

Co-worker on The Wizard of Oz "...those three midgets that came out and danced, the freaked me out when I was little. But they are ok now."
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-02 : 23:15:34
Well, One thing for sure is that you should eat as much lobster as is humanly possible. The seafood in and around the new england area is unreal.

I would also suggest trying to catch a ballgame at Fenway, but getting tickets could be difficult. I think they are playing the white sox that weekend too, so the games should be good if you can get tickets.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 03:47:30
I've had seafood in Boston - highly recommended

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 04:25:56
>>I've had seafood in Boston - highly recommended

How about Vegetarian Food?

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 04:53:18
"How about Vegetarian Food?"

Not recommended anywhere

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 07:05:11
>>Not recommended anywhere

But available everywhere

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 08:21:21
I think this is getting dangerously close to the Is Seafood vegetarian discussion!

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 08:35:25
there's no discussion
it's not...
not counting algea...

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 09:13:06
pish posh...go on the duck tour

Also China town, while not as big as NYC is good to go to..

Cask and Flagon...a must

But then again I would say every brew pub in town, or at the very least the Boston Beer Works...a t-shirt here is a must

Stay away from Durgin Park...has gone significantly down hill

And a vist to old Ironsides is very cool....Been going to Boston for Years and never went...

The commons is also very cool to knock around in, and what's a trip to Boston without a stop in a basement?

Also go to the North end for dinner...while you're over there go hit the aquarium and the old North Church...1 if by land, 2 if by sea, 3 if by spaceship....

EDIT: STAY OUT OF CHEERS

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 09:23:03
Boston has a number of vegetarian restaurants, but I have not tried any of them, yet.
http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&hs=MAd&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=vegetarian+restaurants&near=Boston,+MA&sa=X&oi=localr
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 09:31:17
Thats cool link mcrowley
I am a big lover of Veg Food

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 12:02:38
Not to get off the subject, and get back to the original poster.. ;-)

If you like rollerblading/bicycle riding, the Cambridge side of the Charles River (called Memorial Drive) is closed to motor vehicle traffic on Sundays, and opened to all the students who can't afford to get around any other way. Harvard Square is a good place to be on the weekend, as there will usually be several street performers doing their acts.
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 14:31:24
Last year when I visited, my brother and I walked the Freedom Trail which takes you past the North Church, Ol' Ironsides, and a ton of other historically significant points. Wear comfortable shoes! Stop in at the Bunker Hill memorial. Agreed that Cheers was no big deal, but a game at Fenway is a definite must. Some of the old cemeteries have a lot of history in them, too: Samuel Adams, Ben Franklin, etc. The Commons was nice and Harvard Square was good, too. None of them were too busy or touristy. Faneuil Hall had more touristy stuff, but also good outside performers in the evening.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 14:55:06
">>Not recommended anywhere

But available everywhere
"

Not here!

So ... a vegetarian visits me and expects me to provide vegetarian food.

And when I visit them will they have cooked me a nice rare steak?

... <shucks!>

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 15:36:05
Wow... all great suggestions! Thanks everyone.

And I am definitely looking forward to overdosing on lobster and clam fritters.

Im looking at tix to the Friday night game vs. Whitesox... sold out as you mentioned it would be, but of course ebay will provide for around 150-200 bucks a pop. I think its pricey, but I also dont think i can resist being that close to Fenway and not experiencing it. Seems definitely worth it.

So Brett, will I be able to get into Cask and Flagon on a game night? Sounds like its the place to go but would have an insane line out in front. If I mention your name at the front will I get VIP treatment?

Nathan Skerl
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 16:25:25
quote:
Originally posted by nathans

Wow... all great suggestions! Thanks everyone.

And I am definitely looking forward to overdosing on lobster and clam fritters.

Im looking at tix to the Friday night game vs. Whitesox... sold out as you mentioned it would be, but of course ebay will provide for around 150-200 bucks a pop. I think its pricey, but I also dont think i can resist being that close to Fenway and not experiencing it. Seems definitely worth it.

So Brett, will I be able to get into Cask and Flagon on a game night? Sounds like its the place to go but would have an insane line out in front. If I mention your name at the front will I get VIP treatment?

Nathan Skerl

yes, go to fenway it is worth it.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-08 : 12:21:35
I make it a point to never wait on a line if I want to go in to a pub

I haven't been to the cask since the re-did the place.

It used to be a real dump.

It's all pretty now.

And if it's packed the Boston Beer works is right there as well.

If I had to chose, I'd go with the beer works...

http://www.beerworks.net/html/home.html

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-08 : 16:10:03
This looks interesting

http://www.boston.com/travel/gallery/blues_train/