Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Project Development Life Cycle

Author  Topic 

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 15:47:29
I’m wondering if there is any organization that does not use the project development life cycle shown below. I’ve shown this to many people where I work, and no one has ever said, “That’s not how we do things.”

1. Define delivery date.
2. Throw some crap together.
3. Test the crap.
4. If test is good go to next step. If test is bad go to next step.
5. Live production.
6. Define requirements.
7. Repeat steps 1-7.

CODO ERGO SUM

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 16:49:36
Why did I think of this..internal struggle or whatever.

quote:
There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

I wish someone would start an Official XML Rant Thread.
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 17:31:36
Who cares. Maybe that's the problem.
Communication between BU & IT, dearly lacking.
Step 3&4. can be skipped *LOL*

Seriously, that's not at all how we do it.
We take real care to understand the requirements and press the customer/client to define and explain how they want things.
Sometimes that even saves work, 'coz they only "thought" they wanted something, but in reality it was a chimere.

1. Define requirements
1a. Preliminary delivery date
2. Think
3. (Re)Define requirements
4. Another Preliminary delivery date
5. Deliver too late.
6. Write documentation.
7. Repeat steps 1-7.

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 18:19:45
MVJ: We use a fully automated test suite for step 3.

But you got the rest right!

We are supposed to deliver on a twice yearly schedule. That's what all our systems and strategy is designed to do. But we are expected to make deliveries once a month ...

Of course we could get good at making deliveries once a month ... if that was what our systems and strategy was set up to do.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 21:59:50
guilty

and i get to clean up their mess afterwards , revising DDLs and sql objects... arrggghhhh....

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 23:28:22
good one rockmoose.

I've been investigating project management for about a year now. PMBOK, TOC stuff. It started when trying to derive a capacity metric for an concurrent engineering/build manufacturing company. Amazing what a real good think can do to stuff and the thinker. Put effort into solving the right problem and it's kind of easy and as an offshoot a whole lot of other little problems go away. Plus thinking about stuff beats working.

I wish someone would start an Official XML Rant Thread.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 09:04:19
with my current pimp, its more like...

1. Management comes to me all excited and says we need this and I get something drawn on a cocktail napkin.
2. I pull something together and ask for feedback.
3. I wait and wait until a couple months pass, and then they comeback with another cocktail napkin.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3.

I used to work on the internal IT staff of one of the bigger project management training firms and lets just say we pretended to practice what we preached.

Sean Roussy

Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.

I am available for consulting work. Just email me through the forum.
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 13:36:34
What's a specification ;)

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]
Imperfection living for perfection --
[url]http://jhermiz.blogspot.com/[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-26 : 09:41:47
"What's a specification"

What you get after Acceptance - v. "Continuous rewrites of the Specification until it meets the product provided"

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-26 : 12:09:54
Hmm - anyone here doing Extreme Programming.

After a year of slowly trying to cobble a better way of working, and delivering, we are migrating (for this release) to several of teh Extreme Programming and Agile Software development paradigms.

Our developers are doing pair-programming for (in most cases) the first time, and is an effort to get away from the spec <> program <> expectation cycle, we are having programmers beginning to pair-spec with business analsysts, and part of the pair-programming phase is sitting with Analysts, and testers, while they see what it is we develop. We are using stories to model single definiable, testable pieces that can be understood by everyone.

We currently are getting better (sometimes {:)]) at Test-Driven Development, and having automated build processes that are also maturing. Our currently release cycle lives between 6 - 8 weeks, but we hope to get to 4. Similarly, we are continuously moving toward automated deploying of code into development - the goal for the end of this release is that our code, (which gets built on about a 2-hourly basis), will deploy the most recent successful build automatically into our development environment.

Sounds like fun? Well - the last 3 releases were still characterized by:
(a) descoping of projects (a release is made up of several projects, here)
(b) moderate to poor code, and insufficient code reviews (this no longer applies as we move to pair-programming - now let's see if it really does = better quality code)
(c) incomplete, and even non-existant spec's, leading to signifcant differences between the users dream, the analysts idea and the coders reality...

At least we are brave enough to admit it isn't working, and have a manager who is willing to try and improve the way we work... now let's see if it hepls [:-)]

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Chaos, Disorder and Panic ... my work is done here!
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-26 : 12:13:38
we do extereme programming for hard stuff...
TDD is in use for over a year. found us a truckload of bugs that we'd miss otherwise...

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-26 : 14:40:05
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

"What's a specification"

What you get after Acceptance - v. "Continuous rewrites of the Specification until it meets the product provided"

Kristen

Hahahahah that is so true!

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]
Imperfection living for perfection --
[url]http://jhermiz.blogspot.com/[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 07:17:42
So what's the concensus on best way to get a all the SProcs (each in individual files) from today's development run on the QA database? - I'm meaning in an automated fashion so that it can be part of "daily build"

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -