Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 How are things going in the EU

Author  Topic 

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 14:10:06
Not related to recent terror activities, but just in general, a little while ago I was reading the constitution and examining the party stucture etc. It mostly left me in a beige haze. Can anybody share their thoughts.

I wish someone would start an Official XML Rant Thread.

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 17:35:44
Politics & religion IS a veil of fog.
If we didn't have so many rulers and regulators and used our common sense...

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 03:53:48
IMO the EU fat cats are determined to push through a constitution that no-one wants in a determined effort to line their pockets even further

There, I've said it now

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 06:22:16
i wonder how many people here in EU acctually know what the constitution states...
i know i have no idea.

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 09:03:08
I found it not to be a very challenging or inspirational document. Some sections were kept very brief
I guess in an attempt to make it elegent, direct and understandable but if I remember correct not much was
really defined as the law of the land.
It left me with the feeling.
"What would I be saying "YES" to if I signed this thing"

Obviously "law of the land" would be a tough thing to get
agreement on with many ancient lands, people and religion.
So I guess that is the only way it could be written.
Brings up the question, Why do it? Solely for financial reasons?
Which then reminds me of putting accountancey requirements before engineering,
manufacturing and sales, in a company. The act of production is what you account,
you don't account so you gain insight into how to run engineering,
manufacturing and sales. That is to make them subservient to cost accounting. That's "horse before
the cart" and before you know it accounting has costed you to the point you can no longer perform your
"reason d'etre" and eveybody is miserable, and the company ceases to exist and gets stolen from
by those very same accountants.

So non-financial factors. These have to be pretty lightweight.
Unless Europe on a whole would like a more homogenious culture. That seems a stretch.
I think most folks cherish their identity differences. But which is weightier in the EU.
Nationality or Boarders(patches of land). The Nation of SQL practitioners is a very strong identity.
that endures without boarders, many countries have many nations but only a single boarder.
I'd say the boarders are pretty important to much of Europe. More so than say Australian/Canadian
provinces. That would be based on length of residency or the fact that many EU countries are in a
more advanced stage of completeness.

Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 19:48:09
Why this interest in the EU constitution ?!
Just general interest?

I bet it's not as exciting as "We hold these rights to be self evident ... "
That was really good, and still holds!

Many/most Europeans are appealed to the ideal of a "united" Europe, with free trade, common legislature, strong army, a constitution,,,,

But the forces pushing the EU are more enamoured with power, money and politics, than they care about the citizens.
These guys are opportunists and professional politicians, I doubt there are any idealists left in the EU power structures.

If You want to understand it, think $$$, that's it's current raison d'ètre. IMO .

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-23 : 09:28:15
Yes, just general interest.
Seems a big deal, maybe it isn't.
What really gets me thinking sometimes is how important it appears to some people to identify with a country, seems hard wired. If someones government deals with them as a Euro after thousands of years of being an Italian, or a German etc. I wonder on the fallout. I'm also curious about the blending of races and cultures and passions. What becomes of the human race when the diversity is gone.

Take China for example, standard of living going up (by employment income measure), manufacture of American goods, China worker thinks, who buys this junk? Stupid American, low job satisfaction. Does this China worker evolve to become the consumer of "this junk" Becoming what he loaths. Does he demand higher and higher pay for the sacrifice of his humanity to toil in the plants, and find meaning in being a consumer. The US model.

My gut feeling is that the Euro is one of those great human experiments that may not have enough of the human factor to be successful. That is it may just be an accountant perscription, treating symptoms, but not a cure, if a constitution can't capture the essence of it's constituants. Maybe it's just a piece of paper and holds no human meaning? That seems exploitive to me. "Here sign this, live by it. Even if it dosen't apply to you." Now beyond the money part there are definitions of rights for the citizenry that are in direct conflict with some religions. That's going be tricky legal stuff. US example (Church of Later Day Saints)

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -