Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 SQL Server 2007 ?

Author  Topic 

AndyB13
Aged Yak Warrior

583 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-28 : 06:39:40
Ballmer: We'll kick-start "stalled" .NET

June 27 2005

by Steven Deare

And keep searching for ways to beat Google...

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer confessed that the company's .NET strategy has come to a stand still, accepted SQL Server's shortcomings, and vowed to keep fighting search giant Google.

He made the comments at a partner briefing in Sydney this evening on the first day of his whirlwind Australian tour.

In the country for two days of talks with employees, major customers and the business community, Ballmer met a group of state government CIOs as well as Federal Health Minister Tony Abbott earlier today.

A spokesperson for Abbot confirmed the meeting but declined to reveal further details.

Later, a typically enthusiastic Ballmer addressed approximately 500 partner attendees, who grilled the CEO on all things Microsoft.

Asked about the future of its .NET strategy, Ballmer admitted the platform "had stalled in the last 12 months". But there would be a renewed .NET push, he said, and this was "an assigned priority" for the government sector.

"Government has really been pushing for stronger interoperability. We can't support open source but we can support interoperability," he said.

Another partner complained of SQL Server's lack of spatial storage capabilities, saying the database was being beaten by Oracle.

This may be addressed in the next release [of SQL Server] in 18 months, Ballmer said, but conceded he "really didn't know".

A question on location-based services saw Ballmer plug Microsoft's "heavy investment" in mapping. But when a participant asked why MapPoint had not expanded to southeast Asia so such services could be built, Ballmer was stumped.

"I didn't know we weren't doing well there," he said. "I'll address that with the team vigorously."

Microsoft's innovation was a constant theme throughout the 20-minute address. This would bring rewards for partners across the globe, including Australia, he said. "Our business in Australia will grow five to six per cent over the next [financial] year."

Ballmer saved the best for last, firing a salvo at Google.

"What you're saying is, 'you're so far behind, why bother?’," he said when pressed to reaffirm Microsoft's commitment to search technology as it struggles to catch up with Google.

"Well, if anyone thinks innovation is done in search, you're wrong.

"Does anyone here really believe search is going to look like it does now in 10 years?" he asked attendees.

He claimed Microsoft's long-term view was already making ground on Google.

"In the next six months, we'll catch Google in terms of relevancy," he said.

Search has more relevance than just the desktop, he said, reiterating Microsoft's well-known stance. "It's important for people who search a corporate network," he added.

"We'll use search to peer into a range of business applications which would allow multiple applications to be searched simultaneously.

"Take for instance the Siebel database. Now I've never used that interface. But I'd love to go to it and say 'who is the account manager for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia?'," Ballmer told the partners.

Microsoft's vision for search would eventually make such data discoverable, without using the [actual] application.

"This is important for our customers but also in joining the battle with Google.

"Give up the fight? No, never," he said.

Steven Deare writes for ZDNet Australia

Article from
http://management.silicon.com/itdirector/0,39024673,39131429,00.htm

Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Mountain_Nerd
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-28 : 15:57:07
As one who would leverage the spatial storage and query capabilities, I'd love to see it ASAP. I'm guessing it took 5 1/2 years to get the new CRL environment developed and implemented. Who knows if we'll see the spatial component anytime soon...
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-28 : 16:23:50
damn, I can come up with a pretty sizable list of items I would like to see SQL 2007 do (that oracle can do), and spatial storage is not anywhere on that list.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-30 : 13:31:36
an UPSERT statement would be handy ...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -