Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 MSDE Instance on XP

Author  Topic 

pempe
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2005-04-10 : 22:47:49
Hello:

I've installed MSDE2000A on a computer with Windows XP Professional 2002 Spanish version. When I run the
setup.exe from the command window it begins the installation up to a point where it stops, but shows no error.
Also I have:

Windows XP Hotfix - KB823980
Windows XP SP1 (Q312370)
Windows XP SP1 (Q321856)

I´ve had no trouble creating instances on another computer that runs Windows 2000, but with XP I cannot make it.

If anyone knows what could be the solution to this, I'll be very glad.

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-10 : 23:22:30
there should be a sqlstp.log file in your windows directory. This is the setup log and should give list the errors during installation.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-10 : 23:23:32
I had the same problem on XP - I found I had to use the setup.exe from the command line, and supply a command line parameter as follows:
setup INSTANCENAME="foo"

Occasionally - and I could not resolve why, but this then needed to be followed up by re-running setup.exe without the switch (yes on the same machine - makes no sense to me either).

--
I hope that when I die someone will say of me "That guy sure owed me a lot of money"
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -