Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 What happened to...

Author  Topic 

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-01 : 16:32:17
The SQL Alpine Team thread?

I can't find it. Did it get fried?

Anyway...got my first day in...(took long enough..)

After a slow start the weather has been very cold of late...skiied in 0 degree temps, blue sky, no wind...it really didn't feel all that cold.

Warmed up to 12

On the last run of the day I was trying to do my Best Tara imitation...

Let's just say, it's not wise to hit the steepest, bumpiest mogul run on the mountain for your last run...or to get ready for a 2 1/2 hour drive back.

Still don't know what happened, I figured I buried a tip into the fronty side of a mogul....Full fledged head first flying not just a number Yak exploding Yard Sale...right under the lift no less...

Not sure if the knee or the ego hurt more

What a great day!

Bought my first helmet last year...what a great investment...besides being toasty, I probably saved a concusion..

AND $10 lift tickets for the winter carnival midweek...gotta love that

As I lay there...trying to blend in to the snow...I wondered if there would be any Rangers coming down this double diamond...I figured they were all on the bunny slopes...so I picked myself up...dusted off...and crancked therest of the wat down...still under the lift....when I hit cordurouy...I turned on the Jets and cracked out a bunch a short turns the rest of the way down...

Talk about Quad burn

I looked at Jay Peak for the kids break...

For a family of 5, 2 connecting rooms, lift and lessons for 5 days for everyone, Full breakfast and dinners for the adults..have to pay for the kids...slopeside..right next to the tram...

$1300

Now I just have to hook up with 3 other people so they can carry my butt out of the woods if I do any bark eating...tree skiing is awesome up there...and it's been a while... 6 1/2 hours from Jersey.....

Oh, and this is funny....I get all the kids season rentals...decent stuff...I get to the mountains...and my 13 year old had alread outgrown the boots by 1 full size...big kid...getting bigger every day

Brett

8-)

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-01 : 23:36:12
quote:
"Oh, and this is funny....I get all the kids season rentals...decent stuff...I get to the mountains...and my 13 year old had alread outgrown the boots by 1 full size...big kid...getting bigger every day"

Guess whose getting older then!!!

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]
Imperfection living for perfection --
[url]http://jhermiz.blogspot.com/[/url]
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-02 : 07:54:18
Bunny Slopes?????

Now that hurt.

As our friends over the pond would say.

You Bugger!

Hope your OK.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

Page47
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-02 : 08:12:25
Two years ago I had 5 straight powder days at Jay Peak. Last year I had 4 days of ice, then one day of powder but winds so high they closed the lifts. Jay can get cold man. An very windy.

Be careful in the glades. Two weeks ago, my buddy bit it in the trees at Jay and broke his neck. Last tree run the guy will every do; possibly last time the guy will ever be on a snowboard.

I'm heading out to CO the first week of April. Staying in LionsHead with tickets to Vail, Breck, A-Basin, Beaver Creek and Keystone. It'll be my first trip out west.

Jay White
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-02 : 09:25:23
More ski stories...

I'm an intermediate skier (I guess my skiing is about as good as my SQL anyway) moguls? stay away. Black diamond, okay, single diamond maybe.

Tahoe was powdery during the storm in January and the tree-holes were deep enough that a couple of early-teens had to be rescued over the weekend. (couldn't get outta the holes. One almost suffocated.).

I don't ski in the trees, preferring the open slopes where consequence of flying is the imitation of Brett's yard-sale. So I take a turn off a mountain ridge that looks good (if you don't ski, it's not unusual to have no idea at all where you are. You have to trust that down usually takes you home, but not always)...

Heading down this new run which banks left and ahead of me lie moguls! Ugh. I slow down to contemplate. There's no one else on this run (an for good reason) but a single lone skier zips past me, turns left, and into the woods. It looked so easy I followed (stupid me).

I'm about 40 yards into the woods (which was very downhill) skiing in waist deep powder, tree holes everywhere, coming to grips with the fact that if I fell in, it wasn't likely that another skier would come down this trek today. it's about 25 degrees F.

Realizing that if I had an accident, there would be no one to notice... that's when panic sets in, and that's when a ski catches, and boy I wish I had Brett's helmet but I didn't hit my head.

Options? Climbing back up the hill in that powder, if it could be done - 2 hours maybe. Cold, exhausting, vacation ruining work.

Sparing you the rest, I managed to find my buried ski (did you know skis disappear in deep powder?) and ski as slowly as I could manage, in deep powder, out of the tree-run. I think I was lucky. The run didn't get too deep or too long, but that was due to my good fortune. There were plenty of bumps I could not see over which could have been drops (bad for me), and fortunately were not (good). I swear - as I skied through those woods, I saw tree-holes opening up, reaching out for me, grasping, yearning for flesh. I had no idea where I was.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-02 : 09:32:51
quote:

Guess whose getting older then!!!

Yup, Happens every day to everyone. Or to the lucky ones anyway.

quote:

Bunny Slopes?????

Now that hurt.

Sorry...just joshin

quote:

Two years ago I had 5 straight powder days at Jay Peak. Last year I had 4 days of ice, then one day of powder but winds so high they closed the lifts. Jay can get cold man. An very windy.

Yeah, 2 years ago I was at Smuggs at that time...was like mid winter conditions and was terrific...gave up on last year late as the kids vay-kay was too late...

Haven't seen it in a long time, but I'm hoping for an early april of 60's for some good old skiing in shorts and a t shirt...

Just don't fall...

Saw some chicks in bikini's one May 1st up at Sunday River

Saw one guy with no shirt who must've done a chest plant....must have been very painful...oh it was 82 that day

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -