Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Transaction log backup failure

Author  Topic 

kmwestwood
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-17 : 08:49:37
Hi

I'm getting the following failure when the maintenaince plan runs. Any idea why?

I get the same when it backs up the database but this does on occations backup with success.

Thanks
Kevin

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version Logged on to SQL Server 'MYSERVER' as 'MYUSER' (trusted)
Starting maintenance plan 'DB Maintenance Plan1' on 8/16/2004 10:00:03 PM
[1] Database MYDATABASE: Transaction Log Backup...
Destination: [\\.\Tape0]
[Microsoft SQL-DMO] Error 22282: [SQL-DMO]The operation was cancelled by the user.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-17 : 12:08:27
What happens when you run BACKUP LOG from Query Analyzer?

You might consider writing your own maintenance stored procedures as the maintenance plans do not give much information to help you troubleshoot the problems. Check out my custom stored procs that can replace maintenance plans:

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/archive/2004/07/02/1705.aspx

Tara
Go to Top of Page

kmwestwood
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-26 : 04:30:36
It turns out that the DLT drive was ejecting the tape after the first job of the maintenance plan and causing the error. Sorted it with a WITH NOUNLOAD clause.
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-26 : 09:57:51
Tara great blog content. Thank you.
I don't have Enterprise Edition. Does your log shipping environment/setup rely on maintenance plans?

Possessing a wide range of watered down skills.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-26 : 12:13:54
Yes currently we use log shipping from Enterprise Edition, so yes maintenance plans. We are moving away from that and going with clustering between two locations over a WAN.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

HemantGodboley
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-27 : 03:08:06
Hi All

I have one 70 GB Database runing on SQL server 7.0 i have created a replica of same using SQL Server 2000 ,Now i want to keep both of them sync to each other Using Transection log ,How do i implement Transection log from SQL server 7.0 to Sql Server 2000

Hemant
Go to Top of Page

MuadDBA

628 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-27 : 10:32:11
Thats a bad idea....if you had to switch from the 7.0 server to the other one, you would not be able to switch back.

Also, you should have started a seperate topic for this.
Go to Top of Page

HemantGodboley
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-30 : 01:47:34
I have taken transection log back up of my database runing on SQL server 7.0 but when i try to restore on Sql Server 2000 it give me the following error

The preceding restore operation did not specify With NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY.Restar the restore sequnce,specifying WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but the final step .RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally

Can any one help me on this

Hemant
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-30 : 08:12:32
Thats a bad idea....if you had to switch from the 7.0 server to the other one, you would not be able to switch back.
--You can if you set the compatability mode on the 2000 server. I wouldn't recommend it though. You really need to upgrade the 7.0 box to 2000. Why haven't you done this?

Also, please don't double post.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDBA

628 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-30 : 13:53:09
quote:
Originally posted by HemantGodboley

I have taken transection log back up of my database runing on SQL server 7.0 but when i try to restore on Sql Server 2000 it give me the following error

The preceding restore operation did not specify With NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY.Restar the restore sequnce,specifying WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but the final step .RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally

Can any one help me on this

Hemant

Yes, look up log shipping and restoring transaction logs in the Books Online. It will give you a lot of background that you need.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -