Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 HELP !!! SQL Server in a Cluster

Author  Topic 

jpotucek
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

273 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-06 : 10:04:23
Sorry if this is a duplicate. I wasn't sure where to post!!!

I have a 2 part question about adding a new 'named' Virtual Server to an existing Clustered SQL Server 2000 install.

I have a 2 node MSCS Cluster (WIN2K advanced Server sp4) with a default SQL Server instance. This has been in production and working fine. I created a new Cluster resource and reran SQL Server 2000 ENT setup and added a second Virtual SQL Server (named instance). After many problems, finally got the second Server installed. Now I have 2 SQL Server instances in the Cluster - from what I understand, you can have up to 16, each seperate installs with seperate Cluster resources.
Thus the problem:

For the Second Instance, I have specific instructions from the Applications vendor on how to install SQL Server to work with their APP. I need install SQL Server WITHOUT the Full Text Search component and WITH a specific Server Collation (Binary order for use with the 850 Multilingual character set). (I have done this same setup on standalone SQL Server installations for this APP and they have gone smooth).

When I installed the new Virtual 'named' instance in my Cluster, I Could NOT 'DESELECT' Full Text Search when I choose Custom install.. it does not appear as an option???

Also, I chose the "Binary order for use with the 850 Multilingual character set" during the installation, but that is not the Server Collation that is installed...

I have already installed SP3 for SQL Server against the Virtual Server on this Cluster, as well as a HotFix... and Now I'm thinking I need to rerun the SQL Server installation, uninstall the second server and reinstall to see if I can fix the 'Collation problem' .. but I'm not sure if this is the right course of action.

Does anyone know why I cannot 'deselect' Full text search component at install, and any ideas why it did not install with the SQL Server Collation that I specified at install????

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-06 : 10:24:54
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33145

If you aren't sure, just post it once anyway. If it's in the wrong spot, we will move it.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -