Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Instance 2nd

Author  Topic 

pdset
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

310 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-06 : 04:58:05
There is already a 2008 R2 Instance existing and need to install another instance with different name.

while 2nd instance to get installed, should I stop the server?

what are the other parameters that I should check before and after the installation process.

Could anyone please let me know as I haven't done this before, would be much helpful and this forum has many things answered and thanks to all pioneers.

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-06 : 05:10:00
quote:
while 2nd instance to get installed, should I stop the server?

Don't need
quote:
what are the other parameters that I should check before and after the installation process.

Database Instance are independent of each other. One's settings does not affect the other
quote:
Could anyone please let me know as I haven't done this before

Just pop in the Installation CD and run. It will detect that you already have a default instance installed and prompt for name for new instance

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

pdset

310 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-06 : 05:29:31
Thanks KH for your direct answers.

could also please tell me is there any other precautions like configuring same as the existing instance (server Parameters).

I need to create the Encryption Key, should I create after the instance is being created?

Thanks once again.
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-06 : 05:47:29
if you are creating the encryption key for the 2nd instance, you have to install the new instance first before you can do that.

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

pdset

310 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-06 : 17:47:09
Thanks KH once again.

At the end of Instance being created need to create the following:

MASTER KEY;

(comes along with Password, should I select the password as it should generates with alpha-numeric)?

CERTIFICATE;

(name by which the certificate will be known in the database created)

SYMMETRIC KEY;

(associates with Password)

Should I create (above) before the Database creation OR after the creation of the database, as it quite uncertain with the above.

Is there anyway can be UNINSTALL the Instance as well.

Thanks much, again.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -