Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Change Data in column

Author  Topic 

jere1972
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-24 : 13:31:19
Need some help on how to modify/change data that is in a SQL table column.
Here is what I need or have
I have 2 tabels, Table 1 and Table 2, within those 2 tables there is 1 Column that has the same column heading aswell as data within,(I will call it the serial_number column) there is also a 2nd column that is labeled the Same in both tables, I would like to be able to update the Values in the 2nd column of table 1 with the values from table 2 column 3, using the Serial_number colume as my matching reference between the 2, the data is not in the same order between the 2 Tables,
More or less I need to set the value of table 1/column 2 to match table 2/column 3, where the serial_numbers are the same in both tables serial_number columns, the data being changed is set as Small int...
Any help anyone can provide would be extremely Appreciated, as my working knowledge of Sql Scripting is at a close 0

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-24 : 15:09:19
Just JOIN the two tables on serial_number and do the update:
something like this:

update t2 set
t2.col3 = t1.col2
from table1 t1
inner join table2 t2
on t2.serial_number = t1.serial_number

EDIT:
FYI - it is always a good idea to SELECT the data first just as a reality check so you can see what you are about to update.

--update t2 set
-- t2.col3 = t1.col2
SELECT t1.serial_number, t2.col3, t1.col2
from table1 t1
inner join table2 t2
on t2.serial_number = t1.serial_number

Another safety check is to first BEGIN TRAN
then check the results - if you don't like it then: ROLLBACK TRAN
if you do like the results then: COMMIT TRAN

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

maggie21620
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-24 : 16:15:16
can you help with this, not sure where to put the column or even if that is the right command

--COLUMN PPVTotal FORMAT $99,990
SELECT
adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Corps, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.House, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Cust,
SUM(PPV_TOTAL) AS PPVTotal

FROM adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$ INNER JOIN
IDST_74_CUSTOMER ON adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Corps = IDST_74_CUSTOMER.ACCTCORP AND
adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.House = IDST_74_CUSTOMER.HOUSE AND adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Cust = IDST_74_CUSTOMER.CUST

GROUP BY adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Corps, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.House, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Cust
ORDER BY PPVTota

none
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-27 : 02:54:01
quote:
Originally posted by maggie21620

can you help with this, not sure where to put the column or even if that is the right command

--COLUMN PPVTotal FORMAT $99,990
SELECT
adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Corps, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.House, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Cust,
SUM(PPV_TOTAL) AS PPVTotal

FROM adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$ INNER JOIN
IDST_74_CUSTOMER ON adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Corps = IDST_74_CUSTOMER.ACCTCORP AND
adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.House = IDST_74_CUSTOMER.HOUSE AND adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Cust = IDST_74_CUSTOMER.CUST

GROUP BY adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Corps, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.House, adHock.dbo.PPVVINCE$.Cust
ORDER BY PPVTota

none

this looks different from your initial explanation
So which is the field you want to compare on? I see more than 1 fields in comparison here
ALso which field need to update? Why are you using GROUP BY?? I cant see anything whch speaks about aggregation in your explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -