Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 High Availability (2008)
 Multiple Mirrored databases, D/T/P, 1 witness??

Author  Topic 

aspeckman
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-03 : 06:36:11
It was suggested to me that we could just have 1 witness for all of our {application name} databases for development, test, and production.

While keeping one witness for one production database instance makes sense to me, why on earth would I want one witness for multiple DB instances?

I like keeping devl/test/prod separate. So lets assume that is correct, one witness for development databases, another witness for test, and another witness for prod.

But, if you have multiple databases instances(e.g. in production) installed on either the same server or seperate servers, it doesn't seem best practice to use one witness for them all.

I think we should have 1 witness per database instance and configure all mirrored databases on that one instance to use 1 witness and not share that witness with other DB instances.

What is best practice for mirror witness to database instance?

Thanks.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-03 : 07:30:07
The only best practice I've encountered regarding a mirror witness is that it is in a separate physical location from both the principal and mirror. This is to guard against site failure (storm, power, etc.) that would affect 2 or more instances in the configuration. Other than that, there's no particular rule against using a single witness for all instances, it's simply a matter of preference. I'd suggest you'd want more than one witness if you'll be mirroring hundreds of databases, just to balance things out. And to have a dedicated witness for a production environment.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -