Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Replication (2008)
 Add article to pub, subscribers ignore snapshot

Author  Topic 

MuadDBA

628 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-24 : 10:01:00
I have an existing transactional publication that I want to add a new article to. So, I added the article with the following command:

<code>
exec sp_addarticle @publication = N'My_Publication',
@article = N'Filter_Control_Type', @source_owner = N'dbo',
@source_object = N'Filter_Control_Type', @type = N'logbased', @description = N'', @creation_script = N'', @pre_creation_cmd = N'drop', @schema_option = 0x0000000008FF5EDF, @identityrangemanagementoption = N'manual',
@destination_table = N'Filter_Control_Type', @destination_owner = N'dbo', @status = 24, @vertical_partition = N'false',
@ins_cmd = N'CALL [dbo].[sp_MSins_dboFilter_Control_Type]',
@del_cmd = N'CALL [dbo].[sp_MSdel_dboFilter_Control_Type]',
@upd_cmd = N'SCALL [dbo].[sp_MSupd_dboFilter_Control_Type]'

exec sp_refreshsubscriptions @publication = N'My_Publication'
</code>

(Names have been changed to protect the guilty)

I see -- briefly -- in the details of the distribution agent, that the subscribers say "The initial snapshot is not yet available" but when I run the snapshot agent (which creatres a snapshot if the one article I want) the subscribers (all 4 of them) completely ignore it and go about their business delivering transactions. They do that until I add a test record to my new article, in which case they immediately start complaining that the insert, update, and delete stored procs are not present. I can also tell the snapshot hasn't applied because the schema on the subscriber is not updated with the NOT FOR REPLICATION property on its identity columns.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or see a flaw in how I implemented this new article? I am using SQL 2008 (10.0) publishers and subscribers. Enterprise Edition.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Advertisement -