Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Can SQL Express connect to Remote Servers?

Author  Topic 

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-20 : 09:38:02
Good morning all.

I just tried for the first time to use my SQL Server 2012 Express instance to connect to my web hosting's SQL Server. A message displays that reads: Cannot connect to 'server' Additional information. Logon failed for user theUser.

Should I be able to connect to my webhost's SQL Server with SQL Server 2012 Express?

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-20 : 10:05:11
quote:
Originally posted by viperbyte

Good morning all.

I just tried for the first time to use my SQL Server 2012 Express instance to connect to my web hosting's SQL Server. A message displays that reads: Cannot connect to 'server' Additional information. Logon failed for user theUser.

Should I be able to connect to my webhost's SQL Server with SQL Server 2012 Express?

I am a little unclear on the question. Is it that you have installed SQL 2012 Express Management Studio and you are trying to connect to a remote SQL Server using that? You should be able to, if the SQL Server is SQL 2012 or earlier version.

Are you able to connect to that remote server from anywhere using any other method?
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-20 : 10:30:32
Hello James. Yes I was trying to connect to a remote server using SQL 2012 Express Management Studio. I was able to do it. I was supplying incorrect information during login. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -