Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2012)
 SSIS - Variable Substitution

Author  Topic 

SSIS_Beginner
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-15 : 14:53:40
I am having issues refining a query within a SSIS “Execute SQL” task and was wondering if anyone could help. The ultimate goal is to take an XML file content from directory and load it into a SQL DB table along with the file name and date. I have a for-each loop container to loop through the directory with a variable to hold the file name. In my “Execute SQL” task I have 3 parameters set up – “filename, Path, filename” consecutively numbered from 0 to 2 in the Parameter name fields. When I add the 2nd and 3rd question mark for the path and filename I get the error: "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors” – here is my query –

INSERT INTO ifo_xml(xml_file_name, xml_contents, load_time)
SELECT '?', xmlData, getdate()
FROM(SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK ''?'+'?'',SINGLE_BLOB) AS XMLDATA) AS FileImport (XMLDATA)

Here is the catch!
I can run the query below successfully when I use the first variable question mark and hard code the path with the files name. So otherwise the bulk load is successful and the columns in the DB table are correct.

FROM(SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (‘\\myserver\ filemname.xml’ ,SINGLE_BLOB) AS XMLDATA) AS FileImport (XMLDATA)

When I add the additional question marks to substitute for the path and filename I get the error.

Any help would be appreciated.

SSIS_Beginner

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-15 : 14:59:08
whats the datatype you used for those variables?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

SSIS_Beginner
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-19 : 17:38:37
I have tried both NVARCHAR and VARCHAR for the variables.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 01:39:10
why not pass the entire filename with path through a single variable? Add a variable for full path in SSIS, make EvaluateExpression property true and give value as path variable + filename variable. then use this new fullpath variable to substitute for single ? after BULK clause

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

SSIS_Beginner
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 11:26:35
I did put the path and file name variable in an expression and use it in the query - I received the same error: "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done." - below is the query used:
FROM (SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK ''?'' , SINGLE_BLOB) AS XMLDATA) AS FileImport (XMLDATA)

Any other thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 13:18:41
can you try putting whole query inside variable by using expression builder and then use variable option in execute sql task?

SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

SSIS_Beginner
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-22 : 09:48:36
Strangely I found that this works:

EXEC ('
SELECT ''' + ? + ''', xmlData, getdate()
FROM(SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK ''' + ? + ? + ''' , SINGLE_BLOB) AS XMLDATA) AS FileImport (XMLDATA)
')

I am not sure why this works and not my previous code that is similar.

thanks for your suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -