Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Please Help Me Start SQL Server Agent

Author  Topic 

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 11:10:27
Good morning everyone,

I'm trying to run SSMA and I get a message that says SQL Server Agent needs to be running. So I went to SQL Server Configuration Mangager and tried to start it but I can't because "Start" is greyed out. Can you please help me?

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 11:15:58
Have you tried from the command window: NET START SQLAGENT$<my_sqlagent_name> ?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 11:18:23
Do you have SQL Server Agent installed at all? It gets installed as a service, so you can do start -- run -- services.msc and look for "SQL Server Agent" in the services window on the box.
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 11:45:27
When I run the net start sqlagent command I get "System error 5 has occured. Access is denied". So I tried re-running the command as administrator and then I this messeage popped up:

C:\Windows\system32>net start "SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)"
System error 1058 has occurred.

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has
no enabled devices associated with it.

When I run services.msc and look for SQL Server Agent I see it and it say "Started" in the status column.

So if it's started then why am I seeing a message in SSMA saying that it needs to be started? I'm so messed up right now.
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 13:13:26
That is strange - because it should be the same service that shows up in configuration manager, so why it shows as started in services.msc and disabled in configuration manager is something which I don't have an answer to.

Do you have multiple instances of SQL Server/SQL Server Agent installed? They would show up in Services.msc as "SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)", "SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS)", "SQL Server Agent (A_NAMED_INSTANCE)" etc. If you do, make sure that it is the right service that you have started.
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 14:01:11
Ooops it wasn't SQL Server Agent that was started. SQL Server Agent was blank in the status column. So I set it to automatic and tried it with manuel for start up type. Either way when I go to SQL Server Configuration Mangager I get:

The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details.

Any ideas anyone?
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 14:09:17
What does the event log say? Is SQL Server running? You can also try to start the agent from services.msc by right-clicking. Also you can right-click on it in services.msc and under properties, see the logon account that is set up for this service. If it is not the Local System Account, make sure that the specific account's password has not expired, or try with the system account.
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 14:45:58
SQL Server is running. When I try to start SQL Server Agent by right clicking on it and clicking start in services.msc I get: The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs. I don't know how to check of the password is expired for the account.
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 15:47:07
What is the account used? Is it the system account or a specific user account?
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 21:08:31
It's local system account.
Go to Top of Page

stegib
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 13:24:23
Try setting the service to the local admin user logon account. I had the same problem once and used the local admin account and set it to automatic.
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 16:28:18
On my vista computer when I boot up It asks me for a password. When I set the computer up on the day that I bought it, I made the user and password the same for ease of remembering it. Any time I reboot the computer I have to enter a password. Is the local admin account the same as the user I described that I created that is using the same value for password and user?
Go to Top of Page

stegib
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-30 : 11:56:20
Go into the service account of the SQL Agent and set it to the user you log on to Windows with and use the same password, which should have admin rights, then try restarting the service. The user should also be in the Local Admin Group.
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 10:41:37
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 10:44:21
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 10:49:46
The first image with the message that mentions network password is the error I get when I use Administrator as the log on. The second message that mentions process terminated is the error I get when I use my log in that I use to boot up my computer with. No matter what I try I can't get this agent started. Is there a way for me outsource this as a project? I have vista which I believe I can't allow someone to rdp into my computer to take a look see. How much would i have to pay someone to help me with this?
Go to Top of Page

stegib
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 12:39:00
Is your WMI running?

As far as out sourcing the project you might want to consider calling Microsoft first. There are many ways to remote into your Computer to investigate this but it really comes down to how much are you willing to pay. There is also a liability issue that I do not know if anyone wants to take on. There are many things that can prevent an agent from not starting from improper installation to configuration, service packs, spyware, etc. What are you using SQL for and what version are you using?

Try changing your user access control to 0. It really sounds like a permission access control.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 13:36:28
What Edition of SQL Server are you running? If the Edition is Express - then the agent will not work.
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 17:16:59
Yes WMI is running.

I'm using Developer 2008 Edition. I thought that developer was like using Enterprise. I found the following query on the internet, ran it and it looks like I'm running Express on my Developer Edition. That's odd.

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

The results were:
10.50.1617.0 RTM Express Edition with Advanced Services.

Yes I have Express installed side by side with Developer but I'm positive that I'm selecting the Developer Editon as my instance connecting, trouble shooting, and the above query. Why is it appearing as Express? This could be another thread. But for now should I assmume that this Developer Edition won't cut it for the SQL Server Agent?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 18:29:31
You don't have Developer edition of SQL Server. Maybe you do of Visual Studio or something else, but it's Express edition of SQL Server according to that output.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-13 : 11:27:53
Thanks everyone for the help. I now have the agent started since I'm using SQL Server Standard.
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -