Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2012 Topics
 SQL Server 2012 Insane Licensing Price

Author  Topic 

EduardoPin
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 10:41:25
Hi, We are about to launch some new projects that has been designed to run under SQL Server 2012 databases. However after we ask our software vendor for the SQL Server Licensing price, we are about to give up using SQL Server and considering to adopt another database solution.

Let go to the numbers.

Case 1:
System: One system accessed from one applicantion server. This application Server opens several connections to the database. About 200 users.
Server: Dell Blade with 2 X Xeon 6 core total 12 core.
SQL Server Standart, Windows 2008 R2.

Price offered from our vendor:
USD 2818,00 for each 2 core per year.
Total USD 16912,00 per year X 3 years
Total SQL Server Licensing Cost for 3 years: US$ 50736,00!
Contract Select + EA

We understand that is quite expensive for just one server with SQL Server Standart. Even using ORACLE the total price is above than 1/3 that SQL Server total price.

I really thank if somebody could help-me to check this license cost. If it is true, I going to study another database solutions, because SQL Server will be seriously commited in Small and medium companies.

Thanks in advance

Eduardo Pin

Eduardo Pin
Sr. Database and Storage Consultant

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 11:10:51
Can you confirm if this is Enterprise or Standard ? From the prices I've see that looks expensive

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

EduardoPin
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 13:02:07
Unfortunately, it is the price for SQL Server Standart with SA(Upgradable) option.
I have just checked and the base price for SQL Server 2012 standart is U$1793,00 /core.

Thinking that most of all servers have more than 20 cores, we are talking about to expend around US$ 50.000,00 to license one database server.

Eduardo Pin
Sr. Database and Storage Consultant
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 11:33:47
What OS are you running?

Are the servers virtualized?

License is per processor, not core.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 12:28:24
quote:
Originally posted by russell
License is per processor, not core.
This has changed in SQL Server 2012, and was very widely reported before RTM:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/get-sql-server/how-to-buy.aspx

Core licensing is also sold in 4 packs, so you'd need 3 core packs for your system. There may also be an adjustment for 6 core machines, ask your local Microsoft rep.

Standard Edition is also available with CAL licensing. If you have a limited number of users and won't be using SQL for web applications, that's a possible option for you.

If you have SQL Server 2008 under Software Assurance and per-processor licensing, you can upgrade to core licensing for little to no cost. It's worth talking to your local Microsoft representatives about your licensing options. If you were quoted MSRP, you can find cheaper rates from third parties or from your hardware vendor, they often get discounts.

Express Edition is free, limited to single core execution and 10 GB database size.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 13:02:24
You're right. My my mistake, forgot.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -