Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Doubts related to file group

Author  Topic 

winman
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-16 : 07:18:48

I want to some details regarding the file groups and its use
1)Does creating the file group requires extra work and effort while doing backup and restore?
2)Does the file group can be used to increase the performance of sql server if database size is around 2 to 5 Gb? Or file group are only necessary if size is so large?
3)Can i backup and restore each file group separately.? Can i restore only secondary file group without restoring primary?
4)Can ldf files have file group?

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-16 : 11:26:53
quote:
Originally posted by winman

I want to some details regarding the file groups and its use
1)Does creating the file group requires extra work and effort while doing backup and restore?
Not an issue if you are doing full backup and restore. you can do filegroup backup/restore for huge databases
2)Does the file group can be used to increase the performance of sql server if database size is around 2 to 5 Gb? Or file group are only necessary if size is so large?
Yes if they are placed on different drive which you can separate read vs write. I wouldn't suggest filegroup for 2 to 5 GB.
3)Can i backup and restore each file group separately.? Can i restore only secondary file group without restoring primary?
Yes you can . I think you will need to restore Primary also4)Can ldf files have file group?
Yes but you don't need FG for log file. It is fill as you go.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -