Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Questions on SQL Server Management Studio

Author  Topic 

noob_aug11
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 13:08:16
I'm the newbie of the newbies. So, forgive me if this sound so simple.

Question 1:
On SQL Server Management Studio, when I connect to a Database Engine, the left column is Object Explorer. On the Server name, some of the icon is a data cylinder with a green triangle. Some of it is an icon is a data cylinder with a white circle on it. What's the difference between the two?

Question 2:
Also, when I have a few connections to different servers, the SQLQuery tabs seems to be "stuck" on the first connection. When I say "stuck", I meant, when I execute query like
SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'),
SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition');

I always get the results of the first connection; EVEN when I have the other database instances highlighted on the Object Explorer. Is it a setting that I need to change on my SQL Server Management Studio?

Thanks!

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 13:38:45
2: there is a combobox in the upper line of the ssms where you have to choose the "active" database. In object explorer it matters only when opening a new query window.

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

noob_aug11
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 15:01:03
quote:
Originally posted by webfred

2: there is a combobox in the upper line of the ssms where you have to choose the "active" database. In object explorer it matters only when opening a new query window.

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.

I don't mean to use different databases within the same instance, I'm sorry if I gave out the wrong impression. I could issue command "USE [XYZ]" for that issue.

What I meant was I connect to different instances in different servers. Some of the instances are MSSQL2000 and some are MSSQL2008. However, when I execute query like
SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'),
SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition');

I always get the information on the first instance, irregardless of what I highlighted in the Object Explorer.

And even when I disconnected the MSSQL2000 connections and have MSSQL2008 connection remains, when I open a NewQuery tab, I still get MSSQL2000 information. I have to close out SSMS, re-launch, connect to MSSQL2008, open NewQuery tab before I'll get the MSSQL2008 information.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-14 : 03:47:23
nope.. you can connect to multiple instances from SSMS, then select an instance and click new query, it will open a new tab with context of selected instance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -