Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 need to change database owner

Author  Topic 

barnsley
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 11:55:44
We have a website running off a DotNetNuke CMS.

We have recently upgraded our database from SQL2000 to SQL2005.

In our initial install (a few yrs ago) we used a databaseOwner and schema by the same name - called 'nigel'.

Due to previous failed upgrade attempts of the CMS I have changed the schema name from 'nigel' back to 'dbo'. (also created missing stored procedures, views and tables using dbo).

However, there is still one thing which I can't change from 'nigel' to 'dbo' - and that is the databaseOwner specified in our web.config file - if I chage this to dbo - our site goes down (error msg saying 'site is currently unavailable...').

I am wondering if this could be at the heart of our upgrade problems?
Because we are getting upgrade errors like this:
"system.data.sqlclient.sqlexception : cannot find the object 'upgrade Default Language' because it does not exist or you do not have permission..."

In SQL, I have dbo listed under security >> users > with db_owner checked.

I am changing to dbo from our own default schema and owner name becasue i read this somewhere:

if you have ‘dbo’ as the database owner, you’ve probably got no problems.  But if you have a value like databaseOwner="YOUR_OWN_NAME” then you probably have a problem.  This is because each of the above scripts does not specify the ‘owner’ or ‘schema’ of the database object.  

thanks,
mark.

mark.

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 12:16:48
Getting rid of Nigel is a mistake - as a number of companies have found to their cost (but some not).

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 12:36:32
There is difference between schema and owner. Read this...the answer is here

http://www.sqlteam.com/article/understanding-the-difference-between-owners-and-schemas-in-sql-server
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -